Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

DBAN PC Windows Vista Recovery

Help
amy
2010-03-24
2013-05-21
  • amy
    amy
    2010-03-24

I need to wipe the hard drive of the PC. It's an HP Pavilion with Windows Vista recovery on a separate hidden partition (so no recovery discs). I thought I would recognize which disk to wipe but my only options are 4 labeled "unrecognized device" and the "ATA Disk."

If I wipe the ATA Disk, do you think I'll be wiping that hidden partition too and thus not be able to reinstall Windows Vista or could one of those "unrecognized" be the hidden Windows Vista recovery?

Thanks for your help!

Amy

• RT
    RT
    2010-04-05

It is likely that your HD is partitioned into a recovery partition and a system partition both on the same HD.  If you wipe the ATA disk you'll be wiping all data on it and that includes the recovery partition. Most likely, anyway.

• shawn
    shawn
    2011-08-01

Before you do anything you should create recovery disks. This can be done by clicking on the Start button on the taskbar and typing in "recovery" (without quotes). then in the list that comes up click Recovery Disk Creation. Depending on the amount of stuff that came on your PC this could take up to 10 CDs or 4 DVDs.