Basic instructions needed................

Help
Mike
2012-11-07
2013-05-21
  • Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-07

Ok let's get down to basics. I've downloaded the file into my computer now what do I do with it? Everything says to burn it to a CD but how do I get it out of the download to do that?  I know it probable sounds very simple to you computer techs but not to me.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-07

I need to know how to do this today, not next week so an answer ASAP would be really appreciated.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-11-07

The simple questions you ask have been addressed in the forums, but it takes some time and patience to go through them to find your answer.  You seem rushed.  I will help you.  The file you downloaded is a single file with a ISO extension.  It's a single compressed file that needs to be extracted into numerous files.  Do not use windows explorer to create the CD, that will only copy the single ISO file.  An ISO file is not bootable or executable so it won't launch DBAN.  Many CD Burning software will extract the files during the burning process.  So, make sure you have a CD Burning software installed on your computer and make sure it has a feature to extract ISO files.  Open your CD Burning software and select help and search "ISO".  People have recommended  a couple of CD Burning software but I can't remember them off the top of my head.  After making the CD, go into windows explorer and make sure you see about 6 to 8 files on the newly created CD.  If so, the CD is ready for use. 

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-08

Ok, I burned one cd with just the file on it like most of the posting on line say to do and it wouldn't read it at all.  (one wasted disk)  Upon further reading and reading and reading I decided to burn it again with CDBurnerXP that someone suggested on line and burn it as an ISO file.  Apparently that must have been right   because there were several files on the disk then.  I tried rebooting and it found the disk this time.  The problem now is that it only went to a screen with this on it and stopped.

ISOLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
    EDD:  Error bb00 reading sector 5253
    EDD: Error bb00 reading sector 5255
    No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found:
    boot:  _

Now what?  Thanks

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-11-08

Verify that you have downloaded the latest version of DBAN.  The newest version has fixed some bugs that you might be experiencing.  You may want to post the version of DBAN you are currently using which may be helpful to those reading the forums. Also, if this suggesion works, please post a final response so others know what to do if they encounter same problem. Good luck. Thanks.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-09

As far as I know I have the latest version.  It was the one on their site.  It's ver. 2.2.7  i586.  If it is the latest then what?  I don't want to just keep burning CD and wasting them!

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-09

I really need to get the drive erased so I can sell the computer soon.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-11-09

Yes, you are using the latest version.  The errors you have indicates that you have two bad sectors on your hard drive.  Boot the computer to windows, Click "Start", select My Computer, Select the hard drive, right click on mouse, select properties, select tools, under Error Checking click "Check Now", and select "Automatically Fix File System Errors", and select "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors."  I'm not sure if this is a solution or not but you can try it.  If you do the scan at least it will help confirm if you have any bad sectors.  I'm thinking you do.  Windows may not repair sectors if there is physical damage to the hard drive.  If the scan says it has bad sectors but unable to repair it, then you may have a bad hard drive with unaccessable sectors, even to DBAN.  If that's the case, destroy hard drive and trash it.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-09

I followed the instructions and it didn't fine any problem and said it was ready to use.  I might tell you I'm not trying to erase the drive with the operating system on it.  It has two drives and I'm trying to erase the second one.  It has been formatted and has nothing on it.

• Ilya Troshin
    Ilya Troshin
    2012-11-09

Looks like you have problem with the CD.
    Try to download image again and burn it. While burning, don't select highest speed (if possible). Some older CD-drives have problems reading CD's which have been written with high write-speed.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-11-11

Ok, I did that and burned another CD but I still get the same message.  I lost the sale on the hard drive.  I don't think your program works at all and know for a fact that it's way too hard to understand how to use it.  I have been working on and building computers for over 24 years and couldn't figure it out.  This help forum was no use either.  I would not suggest anyone buy it.  The same goes for BLANCCO.