create boot cd problem

Help
J F
2012-01-23
2013-05-21
  • J F
    J F
    2012-01-23

I have Windows Vista, and I've tried almost a dozen times to download dban and create a boot CD of DBAN.  Each time, it appears as only one item, not the 6 or so it's supposed to be, and the error message I get is that my CD or DVD is not writable.  The automatic download from your website seems to activate Windows Explorer, and I'm not sure how to circumvent this.  I've also tried several blank CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, to no avail.  I can't figure out what on earth I'm doing wrong.  I'm really desparate to wipe this hard disc clean as soon as possible.  I have to send the laptop in for repair asap but first I would like it to be clear of sensitive information on it (social security numbers, etc).  I have the option of using a flash drive instead of a CD/DVD.  can someone please help to direct me?  No advice I've found (yet) on this support forum or elsewhere on the web has gotten me any further.  Thank you in advance.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-01-23

Your problem could be due to a number of reasons.  First of all, does the DBAN boot CD that you created have 1 file or several files on it?  You should see about 6 to 8 files.  If there is only one file on the CD, then that is your problem.  If you created the boot CD using windows explorer, that is the problem.  You have to create a boot CD using a CD/DVD burning software that will extract numerous files from the singular ISO file.  An ISO file is not bootable.  An ISO file is a batch of files compressed into one file that will have to be extracted.

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-23

I agree that that seemed to be the problem, so I downloaded cdburnerxp and created a new boot CD using that tool rather than Explorer.  However, I cannot "see" the new files on the DVD to know if there are 6-8 files on it, so I"m still not sure if this will work.  I tried to boot from it and still no success, so I'm no further along.  I am prepared to feel even more like an idiot, but apparently I need step by step instructions.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-01-23

Take the CD to another computer, open windows explorer, and see if there are 6 to 8 files or so on the CD.  Then go into your computer's BIOS and change boot sequence to show boot from CD drive first.  Restart computer.  If that don't work, go back into BIOS and disable all boot options except for the CD drive. Restart computer. Be sure to save changes before exiting BIOS.

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-23

Okay, my only other computer is a Mac, and when I used it to look at the contents of the DVD, I can click on the dban file and see 6-8 files.  I guess that means that I now have a bootable DVD, or does it only appear that way on a Mac?  The drive I want to use it on is a PC, so I'll give it another try after changing the BIOS sequence on that laptop.  Hopefully I can get past the first step.  THanks for your input.

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-24

What I did:  I downloaded dban to my hard drive.  I downloaded CDBurnerXP to burn dban to CD/DVD.  This ISO file-burning process took a total of 45 minutes and completed successfully, or so it indicated.  I then figured, eureka, I will have the required 6-8 files of dban, right?  So I look at the disc on Windows Explorer on another PC and I get the message "format this blank drive".   WHAT?  I look at it on another computer (a Mac), and same deal - no files there.  THen i figure (why not) that Explorer or Finder  just can't "see" these files, but maybe they're actually there.  I change the BIOS sequence to boot from the internal CD/DVD drive, I save the changes, and cross my fingers.  I try to start my pc with what I"m hoping is now a bootable DVD.  Nope.  Doesn't start dban.  Windows Vista boots up.  Stuck at the first step, again.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-01-24

Use a different computer to create the DBAN CD.  Sounds like your CD drive is not writing.  Also, if you go to BIOS and disable boot from hard drive, it will force boot to CD and Vista will not be able to load.  Apparantly, you still have the hard drive set as a bootable option, whether first, second, third, etc.

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-24

Just tried same process  to try to create a bootable cd, and used a completely fresh disc.  THis seemed to work (and took only about 3 minutes, so who knows what was wrong the last time) and this time I AM able to see that 6-8 files were burned successfully onto the disc.  I then restarted the pc and rather than booting to the hard drive, it did read the CD.  HOWEVER, it stopped on a black screen with message that reads:  ISOLINUX 4.00 4.00-PRE46 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2010, etc ….. no preconfiguration data (or file) found … I can't recall exactly what it read, because then the screen went blank and I can't get ANYTHING up on the screen now.  Well there's a white cursor at the top left corner of the black screen but I can't use any function keys or type anything there.  Now I have no idea how to back out of this new situation.  I really need some help here.  THanks.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-01-24

Try an earlier version of DBAN.  Try 1.0.7_i386.iso and see if it gives the "No Configuration File Found" error.

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-24

Okay.  Tried 1.0.7_i386.iso and finally got the dban blue screen with prompts.  I tried to enter interactive mode and now it's stuck on this screen:
    DBAN finished with non-fatal errors.
    This is usually caused by disks with bad sectors.
    Send the log file with all support requests.
    (hardware clock operation dates and time for start and finish).

What now?!

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-24

More information about my situation:  I do not wish to type "autonuke" at the command, I would prefer to erase the c: drive, not the d: drive, if possible, that's why I'd prefer the interactive mode, if that's at all possible.

• Scott
    Scott
    2012-01-24

I don't know, this is getting beyond my ability to assist.  Do you think you have a bad hard drive?  If DBAN reaches a bad sector, it will fail at that point and it does not report which sector(s) are bad.  Do you know of any way to perform a hard drive sector test?  I've read in previous forums where people have physically destroyed hard drives with a bad sector fail. I'm not suggesting this, it is hear-say.  You may want to research the forums or repost with a new heading.  Might want to try other computer help forum websites.  This may not be a DBAN issue.  I really don't know.

• J F
    J F
    2012-01-24

NOthing would surprise me with this pc - it probably does have a bad hard drive, it's got bad everything else!  I don't know a thing about how to perform a hard drive sector test, especially now that I've switched over to CD/DVD boot mode and can't  get back in without expert assistance.  THis may not be a DBAN issue, and I thank you for your assistance thus far.  I don't know if I have the time to find out what's wrong here.  I'm sending this pc in for repair (chronic overheating problems and physical damage) and I have a feeling it's going to be considered a loss and not reparable, that's why I wanted to wipe the hard drive first.  Perhaps I can go no further and will just have to trust that the drive will be professionally scrubbed or destroyed if the pc is considered a loss!  I appreciate your time and guidance.

• Ronald
    Ronald
    2013-01-18

I have just started to look into dban. I am not an expert. I am using Vista.
    First of all, after downloading to C:\Program Files I could not find "dban-2.2.7_i586 .iso" anywhere in that folder. Very odd, since a search from the Start Menu did find it, and reported it as being in C:\Program Files! Obviously it's of no use to me if I cannot see it.
    OK. I then downloaded it directly to my CD drive, E:
    After the download process completed, I checked the CD and found but one file, "dban-2.2.7_i586.iso". From what I have read so far on various web pages, there are supposed to be 6 to 8 files, so apparently this was an "unsuccessful download". Although there is a clear instruction NOT to unzip this file, I noticed that if I "right-clicked" on "dban 2.2.7_i586.iso"  on the CD a menu pops up, which contains the option "Extract Here…". Well, despite the instruction NOT to unzip I decided to click on this menu item. The result was the extraction of a number of files. Now the following files can be seen on the CD:

ABOUT
    DBAN.BZI
    dban-2.2.7_i586.iso (This is the original lone file found after download)
    ISOLINUX.BIN
    ISOLINUX
    ISOLINUX.CFG
    QUICK
    RAID
    WARNING

Are these the required "6 to 8 files" referred to by others? . I won't know until I try the CD in a couple of days time.