DBAN won't start?

Help
nick
2010-07-17
2013-05-21
  • nick
    nick
    2010-07-17

Hey, so of course I'm trying to wipe a computer using DBAN and can't get it to work.
    I have tried both v 2.2.6_i586.iso from a CD-R and I have also tried v 1.07_i386.exe from my flash drive. I switched the boot order of my computer to boot first from the CD drive and USB drive respectively with no avail.
    I get the same problem either way.

Heres a play-by-play of what happens:
    1.) First the BIOS loads,
    2.) I select the boot order,
    3.) then the screen goes blank with the little white underscore bar blinking and stays here for a minute,
    4.) then a blue bar pops up at the top of the screen that says "www.dell.com"
    5.) and a very short line appears under that that says "PBR 2 Done"
    6.) than a really long error  message appears saying: "we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change… etc.." and asks if I want to boot in safe mode or all these other windows options.

It appears that the computer is unable to see the CD or USB drives? the USB drive works fine when the computer is running regularly but the CD drive has had issues in the past with not working correctly. I can tell when I put a CD in it starts to do something but it tends to make some awful grinding and clicking sounds all the time. How can I get DBAN to run?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. It is a DELL INSPIRON E1505 with BIOS A03 running windows XP home. It is completely junked up with viruses and can take up to half hour to even open the Ctrl-Alt-Delete menu.

• I can't get DBAN to boot  my computer either. Have I failed to properly convert the .iso file onto my CD / DVD?. There are now 6 written on and unrewriteable disks in play here.  Plkus the DBAn file and an UltimateBootCD file on my desktop. What am I doing wrong?  Or more likely not doing ?

• turtle power
    turtle power
    2013-04-06

\"DBAN has been burned incorrectly if you see just one file on the drive when you open the CD-R or DVD-R in My Computer or Windows Explorer.\"       http://www.dban.org/faq/burning

I had to burn another cd-r with an iso image maker after the drag, drop and burn option didn\'t work the first time. The computer I used had an iso burner on it.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm , googling xp iso burner sourceforge.net too. I have no personally tested xp iso burner recomendations.