Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Exchange 2010 created calendar entries an hour out

Help
2014-06-17
2014-09-05
  • jonpedwards
    jonpedwards
    2014-06-17

Hi There,

I'm currently having a bit of an issue with getting calendar entries into Lightning 2.6.5 using Thunderbird 24.5 and Davmail 4.5.0-2292 under Ubuntu 12.04, Exchange is 2010

The problem I'm having is for events that are created within my exchange calendar either directly by me (via OWA) or as invites from others. Currently we are in British Summer time and the entries appear in the Lightning calendar as 1hr later (so looking like a Time Zone issue)

If I create a test event at noon it comes in at 1pm

and the following is in the DavMail log
    BEGIN:VCALENDAR
    METHOD:PUBLISH
    PRODID:Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
    VERSION:2.0
    BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
    TZID:GMT Standard Time
    BEGIN:STANDARD
    DTSTART:16010101T020000
    TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
    TZOFFSETTO:+0000
    RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
    END:STANDARD
    BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
    DTSTART:16010101T010000
    TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
    TZOFFSETTO:+0100
    RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=3
    END:DAYLIGHT
    END:VTIMEZONE
    BEGIN:VEVENT
    ORGANIZER;CN="xxxxxxxx":MAILTO:xxxxxxxxxx
    SUMMARY;LANGUAGE=en-GB:test
    DTSTART;TZID=GMT Standard Time:20140611T120000
    DTEND;TZID=GMT Standard Time:20140611T130000
    UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E008000000003CA8055C5685CF0100000000000000001
    0000000EC99F95CD2DEC44A956C8C3CE28A46AD
    CLASS:PUBLIC
    PRIORITY:5
    DTSTAMP:20140611T092017Z
    TRANSP:OPAQUE
    SEQUENCE:0
    LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en-GB:
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-APPT-SEQUENCE:0
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:2112249148
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:BUSY
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INTENDEDSTATUS:BUSY
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-ALLDAYEVENT:FALSE
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1
    X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INSTTYPE:0
    X-MICROSOFT-DISALLOW-COUNTER:FALSE
    BEGIN:VALARM
    ACTION:DISPLAY
    DESCRIPTION:REMINDER
    TRIGGER;RELATED=START:-PT15M
    END:VALARM
    END:VEVENT
    END:VCALENDAR

If import this event into the local calendar or into a google calendar(both in Lightning) it imports correctly.

I've rummaged around and all of my timezones, (OS, Lightning and OWA) are set to London/Europe.

Any help gratefully received.

Ta
    Jon
    --
    Jon Edwards
    IT Manager
    Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages
    Faculty of Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics
    University Of Oxford

• Bob Pullen
      Bob Pullen
      2014-07-15

I have this same problem using Lightning 2.6.6 and CalDav Sync on Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.lib&hl=en_GB

The former I can live without, the latter's causing me some headaches though.

Is this likely to be address in a future Davmail build? (apologies, I'm not clear based on the previous responses).

Regards,

Bob.

• Matt Buckland
    Matt Buckland
    2014-06-30

Hey Jon,

I have this exact problem. Got around it by downgrading lightning to 2.6.4. Don't think it's a davmail issue.

Regards,

Matt

• jonpedwards
      jonpedwards
      2014-06-30

Brill,
      That's fixed it.
      Thanks, I'll see if I can find a way of posting a bug for Lightning.
      Jon

• Old Techie
    Old Techie
    2014-06-30

I have this problem as well. I haven't spent any time debugging but it's only appointments from my British co-workers. I got around it by switching my calendar to the EWS add-on. It's slower, but it gets the time right with Lightning 2.6.5.

• Graeme
    Graeme
    2014-06-30

good timing. I spent a hour tryingto track this down, then another trying to log into this website. I have exacty this set of issues.

local calendar -- fine
    Google calender -- fine
    Outllok/exchange -- Out by an hour

I am also on British Summer Time.
    However I'm on Debian (7.5) and the packages are therefore Icedove and IceOwl
    ...IceOwl was @ 24.6.0.1.... there are old version but they cause Thunderbird to uninstall , so I'll delay that.

Interstingly there is also a package 'calendar-timezone' 10.0.12-1 whch says Timezone extension for Lightning/IceOwl (mandatory) it was not installed ... attempting to install it causes "broken packages" (red box in synaptic) .

iceowl-extension installs without calendar-timezone, but the the out-by-one error above

iceowl install also selects calendar-timezone, but this causes broken packages (red box)

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies

• Update: this is a mix of a DavMail and Lightning issue, Exchange sends Europe/London events with "GMT Standard Time" zone id, which is mapped to "GMT" by DavMail.

=> fixed in subversion:
    GMT\ Standard\ Time=Europe/London

Note that this is also a Lightning bug, as VTIMEZONE content is correct

• broomie
    broomie
    2014-07-09

I have raised this with

snippet from Thumderbird bugzilla

see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1018120

broomie 2014-07-09 00:24:09 PDT

(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen] from comment #23)

Ok, I see. This event is using "GMT" as the timezone ID, but still defining
    its own timezone information. We assume that "GMT" is UTC, which it normally
    is.

The correct fix would be to get the DavMail gateway to not name it GMT but
    instead Europe/London. The timezone information matches that of
    Europe/London. Could you file a bug on the davmail gateway and link it here?

I could make an exception in Lightning and remove GMT for a while, but
    eventually I would like to add it in again.

OK will log a bug however its worth saying I have used this combo as do many for years without this issue. I suspect Davmail developer may have otehr views over GMT vs Europe London.

Thanks for all your hard work - its appreciated. I wil copy in feedback from Davmail.

Paul

• Hey Mick,

just a short note - if you like I am happy to fix this on the Lightning side for 3.3 which will stick around for about 42 weeks. I'd like to consider "GMT" to be UTC for Lightning 3.4 and up though. Do you think you could change DavMail to use Europe/London instead?

Philipp

• Definitely, fix already available in subversion, still need to build an official release.

• Fix available in 4.5.1

• tahir hafiz
    tahir hafiz
    2014-09-05

Hi All,

We are based in the UK and have installed davmail 4.5.1 with the timezone fix. We still seem to see a time difference of 1 hour when using Thunderbird Lightning calendar 2.6.5 but not in 2.6.6 for certain kinds of entries created in Outlook Exchange.

However, my impression is that this should not happen any more because the entries times should be taken care of by the davmail version 4.5.1 (convert entries to Europe/London timezone).

Only meeting invites created by one individual sent to a number of people exhibit this problem. Otherwise when an individual creates an entry in Outlook it syncs correctly to their Thunderbird Lightning calendar.