Hi there, prospective project members!

2000-02-09
2000-02-09
  • Chung Leong
    Chung Leong
    2000-02-09

The issue I suppose I should address first is: How likely will this project be a success? Obviously, no

one wants to work on a dud. And with IM software, you can't have limited success. If not enough people

use it, then it's completely useless. So, how do we actually entice people to use the thing?

Competing with huge commercial systems like ICQ, AIM or MSN would be rather futile -- we can't save

those who wish to be assimulated. I see DAVIM more as a corporate tool. Many corporate offices, such as

the one at which I work, could potentially benefit from using IM. They can't use something like ICQ,

since that would mean sending corporate secrets through the AOL network. The fact that DAVIM works on

top of their intranet web servers means that corporate IS people would be more incline to implement it.

Other large organizations with a lot of internal communication, like universities or labs, should find

DAVIM useful as well. Maybe its use will spread from the professional circle -- who knows?