Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Semicolon in my password

Help
Ramblurr
2007-04-27
2013-04-16
  • Ramblurr
    Ramblurr
    2007-04-27

Hello,

So I keep getting '401 Unauthorized' when I try to mount my Webdav location. I've double checked everything and I am pretty sure it is beacuse I have a semicolon(;) in my password OR an exclamation point (!) could this be? If so what should I do?

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2007-04-27

davfs2 has no problem in handling semicolons, exclamation marks and other non-appha-numeric characters in passwords. I don't know about your server.

There is probably another problem. You might
      - look at the servers log files
      - watch the http-traffic
      - configure davfs2 with option --enable-debug=secrets and look at the debug messages in your log files

to see what's going on or the send me more information. You might also include: your fstab-entry, configuration in davfs2.conf, command line and full error messages from mount.davfs.

Cheers
      Werner

P.S.: Why are you 'pretty sure' it's the semicolon?

• Ramblurr
        Ramblurr
        2007-04-27

You are right it doesn't have to do with my password. I changed it, and I'm still getting the same problem.  Since I have access to my own server I quickly setup an account with the same credentials and webdav mounted it fine, however I do not have access to the server in question.

I cannot get mount.davfs to mount the webdav location using a configured davfs2.conf, fstab, and secrets file, nor doing it by hand and entering the credentials manually.

Here is some more information.

/etc/fstab entry:
        https://www.sec.vt.edu:4431/repository /home/ramblurr/sec       davfs   user,noauto    0    0

actual error:
        mount.davfs: Mounting failed.
        401 Access denied

secrets entry:
        https://www.sec.vt.edu:4431/repository user pass

/etc/davfs2/davfs2.conf entry:
        [/home/ramblurr/sec]
        kernel_fs fuse

I've tried both fuse and coda options. As for the debug options (I'm on gentoo) I enabled the debug use flag, but nothing seems different.. I'll look into this.

Thanks!

Casey

• Ramblurr
          Ramblurr
          2007-04-27

Sorry I copied the wrong bit.

The _actual_ error is:

mount.davfs: Mounting failed.
          401 Unauthorized

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2007-04-28

Hello Casey,

'mount.davfs: Mounting failed.
      401 Unauthorized'

tells there is a communication problem between mount.davfs and the server.

I used 'openssl s_client' to connect to your server, and that is what I have got:

OPTIONS /repository HTTP/1.1
      host: www.sec.vt.edu

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
      Content-Length: 1656
      Content-Type: text/html
      Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
      WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
      MicrosoftOfficeWebServer: 5.0_Pub
      X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
      Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 06:50:15 GMT

<!DOCTYPE HTML ...

The problem is 'WWW-Authenticate: NTLM'. This is not a Internet Standard, but seems to be an undocumented, proprietary authentication scheme, designed to be used by Microsoft software only.

Please have a look at:
      http://www.innovation.ch/personal/ronald/ntlm.html
      ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4559.txt

As IIS is able to behave according to HTTP and WebDAV standards and knows e.g. of HTTP Digest Authentication, you might inform the server admin of the problem and ask him to allow for Digest Authentication.

Cheers
      Werner

• Ramblurr
        Ramblurr
        2007-04-28

Thanks Werner,

I will contact the server admin, but I thought it was strange I could connect to the webdav server with konqueror (using the webdavs:// kio slave) but not davfs2?

Casey

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2007-04-28

Hello Casey,

maybe they do their own code or use a patched version of the neon library.

I am using neon 0.26.2 (latest is 0.26.3) with debugging on. The neon library definitely refuses to handle NTLM authentication. NTLM authentication is also not mentioned in the documentation.
      For communication with the WebDAV server davfs2 fully depends on  neon and I am not able to write an extension for NTLM.

Sorry
      Werner