The use_locks option seems to have no effect

Help
2006-11-18
2013-04-16
  • Werner Donné
    Werner Donné
    2006-11-18

Hi,

I have mounted my WebDAV server as root. Since davfs tries to lock files when writing to them, I tried to set "use_locks" to "0" in /etc/davfs2/davfs2.conf. After remounting the server there was no change. Davfs still issues the LOCK method. Is there something else I should do?

Regards,

Werner.

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2006-11-19

Hello Werner,

I can not reproduce this. So here are some Questions:

- what is the exact version of davfs2 you are using?

- are you sure '/etc/davfs2/davfs2.conf' is the correct location for the system wide config file? If you use the binary version from sf.net, or build from the sources from sf.net without changing the PREFIX, mount.davfs will look for '/usr/local/etc/davfs2/davfs2.conf'.

- is 'use_locks 0' spelled correctly, and is it *not* preceeded by a '#'-character?

- is there no other line with 'use_locks' that might override this line?

Greetings
      Werner

P.S.: Why will everybody mount a davfs2 file system as *root*. I have spent a lot of time to make usermounts easy and secure, because running the mount.davfs daemon with root permissions is a security risk. Are you really sure there are no bugs in davfs2, neon and openssl that could be exploited by an attacker?

• Werner Donné
      Werner Donné
      2006-11-19

Hi Werner,

I have moved davfs2.conf to /usr/local/etc/davfs2 and now it works just fine. Thanks for the tip.

The fact that I use it as root is not relevant in my case. I'm only testing my WebDAV implementation with an alternative client.

Regards,

Werner.