Help
skunkwerk
2007-08-22
2013-04-16
  • skunkwerk
    skunkwerk
    2007-08-22

Hi,
       I'm using davfs on an Ubuntu box - whenver I copy files over, they look ok for a second but then when I check a second later the files have file size zero and changed their gid's.
    using davfs 2.1.1.2 from ubuntu's apt-get service
    using coda

running the command: sudo mount -t davfs http://sol/repos/trial_repository webdav

any ideas?

thanks

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2007-08-23

There seems to be a problem when mount.davfs tries to upload the files. They are probably now stored in lost+found.
      Please look at the server's log files for PUT requests from the davfs2-client. For more details you may also use wireshark to watch the HTTP-traffic while you copy a file. Please note, that the upload is delayed, so you will have to wait abaout 15 seconds for the PUT request.

Cheers
      Werner

• skunkwerk
      skunkwerk
      2007-08-29

I'm getting a new error now (from a different machine):

WebDAV Enabled??
      WebDAV Enabled??
      /usr/lib/mount.davfs-2.6: Could not mount /dev/davfs0 on /home/ubuntu/Desktop/webdav

any ideas?
      i'm using it with this command:
      sudo mount.davfs 192.168.1.2/repos/trial_repository webdav

thanks

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2007-08-30

What happened to the old error?
      Did you look at the server logs?

Would be better to track down the problem instead of trying this and trying that.

Please make sure, your server is properly configured and running. There are a lot of tools to test this: built in debugging of Apache, *log files*, telnet, cadaver, webbrowsers, wireshark.

Cheers
      Werner

• Carlos
      Carlos
      2009-01-30

I have the same problem, although I'm not using coda, but fuse
      here's my fstab:

http://someserver/   /mnt/webdav/   davfs   noauto,user,rw,uid=carlos,gid=carlos 0 0

Here's the relevant parts of (the rest remains at default) /etc/davfs2/davfs2.conf

dav_group       carlos            # system wide config file only
      use_proxy       1                 # system wide config file only
      proxy           someproxy:8080                  # system wide config file only
      ask_auth        0
      use_locks      0

And here's /etc/davfs2/secrets

/mnt/webdav/       myusername    mypassword 

I'm using the hasfiles.com free service, so I don't really have access to server's logs.
      Any idea ?
      Thanks

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2009-01-31

This thread contains two different, probably unrelated, problems. Because of this there is no such thing as "the same problem".
      Please start a new thread and describe your problem as accurate as possible. You may also consider what is written in the README file about error reporting:

6 TROUBLESHOOTING

In case davfs2 does not behave as you expect, there is some very useful free
      software, to search for the reason:

- Use any browser, telnet and 'openssl s_client' to test whether you can
        connect to the server at all.

- Cadaver is a WebDAV-client with an FTP-like interface. Besides the usual
        FTP-commands it allows you to display and manipulate WebDAV-properties, e.g.
        you can remove stale locks. (http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/)

- You may set option 'debug most" in the davfs2.conf file. This will print a
        lot of debug messages in one of your log files.

- Wireshark (former Ethereal) will log and analyze the traffic between davfs2
        and the server. (http://www.wireshark.org/)

- If you have access to the server's log files, they contain valuable
        information.

When sending a bug report, please include

- the exact version of davfs2 and the source where you got it from.

- a complete description of the bug and the actions that lead to the buggy
        behaviour (please note: I usually do not know the acronyms of your favorite
        applications, operating system and server. In many cases I never used them).
        The exact commands you issued on the command line and the messages you got
        from davfs2 are necessary to understand what's going on.
        Please always send the original error and debug messages in full. Don't
        replace them by your interpretation.

- if possible, output from the above mentioned tools.

Cheers
      Werner