Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Can only mount as root

Help
Dave
2006-05-22
2013-04-16
  • Dave
    Dave
    2006-05-22

I'm using Kubuntu Dapper to connect to my Apache 2.2 webdav over ssl. I have no problem mounting with "sudo mount /home/david/mydocs" (/etc/fstab is already filled out with the "user" option). My problem is I want to be able to mount as a regular user. When I try that, I get this error message: "can't get root permissions, maybe program is not setuid" but ls -l /usr/sbin/mount.davfs returns
    -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 245 2006-03-27 08:47 /usr/sbin/mount.davfs. I can't figure it out. My regular username david has been added to the "users" group. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2006-05-22

Hello Dave,

please allways include information about the version of the davfs2 package you are using. Some information about your OS would be usefull too.

I assume you are using the Debian package. In this case /user/sbin/mount.davfs is only a wrapper script. The binaries are in /usr/lib (one for kernel 2.4 and one for kernel 2.6). You must set this binaries setuid.

Greetings
      Werner

• Dave
      Dave
      2006-05-22

Hey Werner,

Fantastic! "sudo chmod 4755 mount.davfs-2.6" was all the magic it took. Now I can get work done at the cafe. Your next espresso is on me.

Thanks,
      Dave

• Werner Baumann
      Werner Baumann
      2006-05-23

Hallo Dave,

where will I find this cafe to have an espresso?

Werner