new DAV Quota proposal

2001-08-18
2001-11-13
  • Michael Arick
    Michael Arick
    2001-08-18

I thought you all would be interested in this new development from the IETF meeting:

Lisa Dusseault (my boss, temporary DAV chair) and this guy from Apple wrote up a draft for a DAV Quota spec.

Basically, they added 2 new properties:
    DAV:Quota (in bytes) and
    DAV:QuotaUsed (in bytes).  

We could use that information in the response to df instead of just saying 7777777 100% or 0 0 0 0%.

We (Xythos) also want to include info on bandwidth quotas, but that's less interesting for davfs, I think.

Comments?

• SungHun Kim
      SungHun Kim
      2001-08-19

Hum~~

It's good properties.

Anyway, is there any server that support this properties?

Maybe Xythos file server or something?

• Michael Arick
        Michael Arick
        2001-08-20

no, not yet.  maybe in a few months.

you know how it is with closed source software...

;-)

• Chris Sharp
      Chris Sharp
      2001-11-08

The iDisk server supports this property. We are planning to support the slightly modified Internet Draft proposal but for now quota/quota-used are supported.

BTW, the webdavfs code in MacOSX has been released to the opensource community and is available at http://www.opensource.apple.com.

I would love to see some collaboration from both opensource filesystems. Digest support/cache improvements/etc.

• Michael Arick
      Michael Arick
      2001-11-08

Really iDisk does DAV:quota and DAV:quota-used?  Or is it "some-apple-namespace:quota"? I think we're still using the Xythos namespace for the quota property at Xythos.

• Chris Sharp
      Chris Sharp
      2001-11-09

The iDisk server uses the DAV: namespace.

<D:quota/>
      <D:quotaused/>

The flaw we made was to use 512 byte units in the response in lieu of something more platform independent like bytes - hence the change in the spec. :-)

We will change the iDisk server to match the spec soon ...

• Anonymous
      2001-11-13

Actually,these names will be changed with the next release of the draft.  'quotaused' is going to be 'space-used-bytes' to indicate that it's not dependent on quota and that it's measured in bytes.  (Jim Whitehead's suggestion)

Similarly, 'quota' will be 'quota-bytes'.

If there's a rush to put out another draft, I can do so.

Lisa