Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Question about the Software Module

2009-12-09
2013-01-20
  • Ethan Phoenix
    Ethan Phoenix
    2009-12-09

Hello,
    I started cataloging my backup discs and realized that a useful (to my belief) function is missing - adding the disc content (simple file and folder list, tree view or something similar). Before I post it as a request I was wondering if such thing exist and I missed it - it's very helpful when you have projects you saved on discs and trying to locate a specific file.
    I looked around the forum and couldn't find any post mentioning this - please excuse me if I missed it.
    Is there such a function? If not, is there a future plan to add such a feature?
    Thank you in advance,
    Ethan

• Hi Ethan,

You can use the file import for this (located on the toolbar and in the tools menu).

Robert Jan

• Ethan Phoenix
    Ethan Phoenix
    2009-12-10

Thanks for your prompt reply! : )
    The problem with this method is that all the files are scattered all over the place. I'm aware that I can assign them to a container or a category but I believe that it defeats the purpose of how the rest of data crow works; Each icon represent an item and if I have multiple Excel, Word and PPT files on one disc with different names I think that having a representation of that disc as an icon/single item and in it's description (or any other related field) there will be something like "scan disc" and all of it's content will be listed so that when I do a search for a specific file, it'll find the disc name.
    According to what you're describing, I'll end up with tons of containers/categories and loading time will be huge (tons of items representing file names).
    Is it something that I should add as a request or something that you're not interested to add as a function to dc?

• Hi,

I use the software module mainly myself and have discs containing all kinds of files and archives. What I do is to give every item of that disc the same container (for example container 'CD 232'. If the disc contains a folder, let's say c:\datacrow-backups), I will only create an item for this folder (filename = 'c:\datacrow-backups').

I am not sure whether I agree with you that this method would defeat the purpose. However I am planning (for the 4.0 version) to allow each and every item to have multiple files instead of just one. This is a major change of architecture and still needs to be worked out further. For example; how would the file importer deal with this, how would the file importer now that files belong to the same item.

It is definitely helpful to log this as an feature request. In general this is the preferred way of requesting changes and features as this is much easier to track for me.

Cheers,
    Robert Jan

• inventif
    inventif
    2009-12-12

I had been using WhereIsIt for several years now and absolutely love its ability to "sneak" into archives, unpack, catalogue their contents etc..  Here's a link if you're interested in comparing with Data Crow. 

http://whereisit-soft.com/

Data Crow, on the other hand, has some other very nifty features.  What is a man to dooooo? :^)

• Interesting… Anyway, you'll have to decide for yourself.. :-)

Cheers,
    Robert Jan

• Ethan Phoenix
    Ethan Phoenix
    2009-12-12

Thanks inventif! (it does look like something I am looking for).
    However, I was always looking for a **free** software that combines **all types** of collections/catalogs together and Data Crow not only answers both of these cases, it's way more appealing to my use.
    I hope Robert Jan will implement something like this (detailed folder and file list per item) soon.
    Thanks for the hard work Robert Jan!
    After all that's why the "Feature Request" form is all about : )
    Cheers!

• inventif
    inventif
    2009-12-13

Hi Ethan,

I didn't mean to imply that WhereIsIt is the way to go.  I've used it for years before I learnt of Data Crow and I love DC's extensibility, openness and wholesomeness, if you wish.  Just wanted to point to a kind of functionality that would perhaps serve your needs better, which I would love to see in Data Crow.  Cheers!

• Ethan Phoenix
    Ethan Phoenix
    2012-09-01

Hello,
    I'm bumping/resurrecting this post again (after ~3 years) to know if this feature is still planned and if so any rough estimate when?
    The post is also semi-linked to a feature request I opened shortly after posting this, ID: 2913394 (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2913394&group_id=84631&atid=573425) in which you (Robert Jan van der Waals) stating that this kind of feature (and more) will be implemented on version 4.0.
    Since the feature request was closed and it's been a while I just wanted to know if there is any chance of seeing this "much needed" feature (from my side)?
    We have discussed about the other way of doing this by using containers but and the file import option but we also, I believe, reached an understanding of what I'm actually trying to achieve with this feature.
    Any update is welcome.
    Thanks again for your great software!
    Ethan