Import from other media managment programs

kyle775
2009-09-02
2013-01-20
  • kyle775
    kyle775
    2009-09-02

I currently use OpenDB http://opendb.iamvegan.net/
    unfortunately the project admin is no longer able to update the software.  i would gladly switch to datacrow if i am able to import my existing database?
    is there any hope for me?

• Well, yes, Data Crow can import CSV files for example (see the item import wizard, located in the tools menu).

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• Billy
    Billy
    2010-01-14

Robert, I had the same issue as Libra was no longer supported and I wanted an all-in-one type database aggregator.  Unfortunately, I had major issues after exporting Libra's contents into Excel (.xls) files which I then converted into a comma delimited file.  For some reason, the file import app did not recognize the individual lines within the CSV file and just sucked the file up as one object.  I got around that by changing my work platform from Beginner to Advanced and using the Item Import (you might want to consider making that available on the Beginner view) and deleting all columns in the CSV file except ISBN for the books and EAN for the CDs and making the first field on the wizard equal whichever it was, ISBN-10 or EAN.  Once sucked into Data Crow, I then used the Mass Update tool with the Overwrite Existing Values & Retrieve Additional Information boxes checked.  That did the trick for the books with the exception of about thirty for which I had to create new authors as the Amazon database did not have the author or it was incorrect.  One potential enhancement; I have several books, diaries, etc. which were written by one person and edited by another.  The way it appears to me to work is if you have multiple authors (author/editor in my case), the first one listed is the based upon the ascending order of their given names, i.e. Charles Robinson / John Bourke rather than John Bourke / Charles Robinson.  Of course, you could simply add an Edited By field too ;0

Best of wishes and thanks for a decent program!

Billy

P.S.  When is the scanner interface coming along?  ;)

• Billy
    Billy
    2010-01-14

Also, if you use my method, be sure to insert a bogus number, i.e. 1111111111 as a fake ISBN number for books without one.