Unicode characters

Landbioz
2013-04-18
2014-09-03
  • Landbioz
    Landbioz
    2013-04-18

Hi!
    I want to catalog my anime collection, but the program doesn't recognize the japanese characters when i try to insert their original names.
    Is there anything to do to solve this?

Thanks...

• megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-10

If you see the characters you enter as square boxes, then it's simply a font problem. Luckily Data Crow lets you choose your own font. Go to Settings > Settings and then Font. By default the font used for both text input and text labels is Arial. Change that to one that supports unicode such as "Arial Unicode MS" and you're set.

• Hi,

For the next version I have changed the font to Arial Unicode MS for Windows systems.

Thanks for the info,
    Cheers,
    Robert

• Landbioz
    Landbioz
    2013-05-20

Thank you folks!!!

• ThisIsMe
    ThisIsMe
    2013-10-13

Hello,

First, I'd like to thank you for working on such a nice and useful program.

It appears that I'm still having unicode issues with the latest version of DataCrow (3.12.5) though.

My system is Windows XP/SP3, with japanese regional settings. My java version is 1.7. What I do is that unzip the datacrow_3_12_5_zipped.zip file into my "Program Files" folder, launch the exe, connect to an existing database (created with a previous version), change both my font settings to "Arial Unicode MS", create a new book ("Mars La Rouge"), pull the data from a relevant data source (Amazon France) and save. The result is the picture provided as attachment.

This also happens with data from other modules by the way, as I've tried to add some korean songs, with equally less than adequate results.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Maybe are there settings from a previous version that still override the ones from the newer version ?

Thank you for any help provided, as it's probably the only thing which still holds me back from using this program as an improvement over other solutions.

Attachments
  • Note that for version 4.0.3 you can copy any Truetype font you have downloaded and want to use to the fonts folder of the Data Crow installation folder. On startup, the font will be registered and can then be selected as the font to use from within the Settings menu.

Cheers,
    Robert

• Pedro
    Pedro
    2014-08-31

Hi,
    I'm still having unicode problems when creating new modules.
    I've tried several diferent fonts and ended up adding Arial Unicode MS, which is the one used on the picture attached.
    I even tried to change ISO 8859-1 to UTF-8 by opening the .jar file and edit the .xml file. Everything fails|
    I used to solve this editing the general field settings but it seems locked now.
    Can you please help?

Another thing, since today Data Crow is not closing. Just hangs and forces me to reboot the laptop. I'm not sure it's DC or Ubuntu. Just to let you know.

• Fixed, definitely in version 4.0.10. I have tested this with Japanese characters.

• Pedro
      Pedro
      2014-09-03

Looking great, thank you!
      Regards.