issues w/ Online and Mass update in Books

burning72
2009-07-22
2013-01-20
  • burning72
    burning72
    2009-07-22

Robert,

Thanks for the update.  I noticed a strange behavior while using the On-line update and the Mass update in Books.
    The updates were not retrieving the Author name.  For Amazon, it is not retrieving the number of pages, and still adding personal reviews to the description.
    The Description and Number of Pages work fine for Barnes & Noble for example.
    Also, I am not sure if the large cover is being chosen from Amazon.

Cheers,
    Paul

• burning72
      burning72
      2009-07-24

Robert Jan,

I narrowed down the details about the issue with Book updates.  It seems to be related to Settings choice of "Retrieve full details on initial search".
      Whenever this option is checked, the author information, for example, is not being retrieved.  But if it is left unchecked, it will retrieve it just fine.
      The issues with Amazon's retrievals are not related to this check-box though.

Regards,

Paul

• burning72
      burning72
      2009-07-24

Robert Jan,

One more detail.  When using Mass Update, the author information is not being retrieved from either Amazon or B&N no matter what combination of options are used.

Paul

• There is indeed an error which causes the author information to not being retrieved by the mass update feature. It is however correctly retrieved when using the 'Retrieve full details on initial search option.

As to the other points:
      -I have not made an update which makes a distinction between user reviews and the other descriptions. I migth do this in the near future though.
      - I'll add the number of pages to the next release.

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• burning72
        burning72
        2009-07-26

Robert Jan,

Thanks for the reply.  I just downloaded v.13 and it is much better.  It still has some issues with populating the online search when it is done individually, but the mass update is right on.  I am so glad because I am adding about 2000 books to the database.
        BTW, what file is the database?  For example, if I want two different instances of a book database, can I set Data Crow to open an specific one and then switch, or I need to have two installations in different directories (which is not a problem)?  Just curious...

Thanks,

Paul

• Hi Paul,

Could you check your settings when soing an online search for new items? You can indicate which fields are supposed to be filled / retrieved (online search form, settings tab).

Data Crow has an internal HSQL database. You can create multiple databases using the -db:<database_name> option. This is also explained in a bit more detail in the readme.txt file and in the help (starting data crow topic).

Cheers,
      Robert Jan