Plugin developers?

2012-06-10
2015-02-16
  • Ever known or thougth about creating a plugin or an online search service? What stopped you? Or, did you create one?
    Please share your thoughts about the plugin creation support of Data Crow!

• Mr Penguin
    Mr Penguin
    2013-04-22

• megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-11

I'm trying to create an online search service. I have read the developer's guide and would like to see a concrete example, for instance how the amazon or bol service is implemented. But I can't find the source code. Is there a way to obtain those?

• Hi,

I have uploaded it now; datacrow_3_9_25_services_sourcecode.zip from the files section for version 3.9.25.

Cheers, Robert

• megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-11

Thank you!

• megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-12

A first version of an additional online service (Chinese douban.com) is working now. There are still some quirks of course but overall I'm quite happy with the result after a half day work.

Some feedback about the development process. (Note: I know how to write and read Java code, but I don't know many of the basic APIs for networking and document parsing - but that is part of the fun.)

• Developer's guide gives a first overall idea how the thing should work but the information is quite succinct and left me with some important questions.
    • Sample code made a big difference to understand how to make it all work and also provides many pointers on how to parse the response and set the correct fields.
    • And last but not least, I couldn't get datacrow (from source) and the online service to work in the same project in development mode, and not via the jar. I developed the service separately with unit tests and then to test the integration I built the jar and copied it to the services folder. I'm sure there is a better and easy way, but I just didn't see it ;p Please enlighten me :)

• Hi,

That's great to hear! I have moved this topic to this forum.

The Developer Guide is quite old and is in serious need for an update. The online services section is however still applicable. I fully agree it coudl do with a better example. What I am planning on doing is move the enhanced developer instructions to the website and include sample code.

For building, my services project simply includes the jar file.

I'll gladly make your code part of the project..

Cheers,
    Robert

• megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-12

Sounds great.
    I will test a bit more just in case and then send it to you.
    How would you like to get the files? By mail or ? And do you need the jar or also the source code.

• If you could send them by email to info@datacrow.net, much appreciated!!

Sorry for the late reply,
    Cheers,
    Robert

• Alexey Ousov
    Alexey Ousov
    2013-09-27

Hello!
    Thank you for such amazing software as datacrow, this database is exactly what I was looking for, now all my data which need to be sorted will be stored in datacrow. Even more, it written on Java - my favorite language.

If you are still interested - I written one plugin for mu hobby - postcrossing. It downloads all postcards from postcrossing site and stores them to datacrow base. Now it is for my personal use, but I'm going to finish it and release it under GPL, because datacrow is GPL software.

About lacking features for plugin developers (you don't have to implement them, because as I see there are not many plugin developers)
    - Datacrow settings are something difficult, there are precreated groups, settings, etc. Plugin cannot save its settings to datacrow storage, and even when I added all groups, settings were not loaded because at startup time my plugin groups did not exists. I had to implement my settings and store them near datacrow settings.
    - Plugin cannot show and hide its menu. I don;t know why plugin constructor gets current module, selected item, and don't able to hide itself if item is not supported, module not installed, etc..

I'm also missing some features/improvements besides plugins, but I know, you will tell to create feature request:)

• Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the feedback! It's a bit of a chicken and the egg story with the plugin functionality. On hand I have not invested much of my time in this because I haven't seen many requests from plugin developers. On the other hand the information is lacking and as you indicate some features are missing as well. Because of that people might be unwilling to create plugins.

Please log them as feature requests! :)

Cheers,
    Robert

• aldu
    aldu
    2015-02-09

Hi Robert,
    Where is the plugin source code in the source code package?
    For example datacrow-client\plugins\LoanInformation.class
    I can't find the source that extends plugin for LoanInformationForm.java and I can't see how to rebuild the plugins directory.
    Is there a document I have not read, am I missing something or is this build and source not in the release? (4.0.15)

• aldu
    aldu
    2015-02-11

I sorted out, I used jd-gui to covert the classes back to source and rebuild them.

• Hi, soz for the later reply; if you still need the actual source code drop me an email; info@datacrow.net.

Cheers, Robert