viewing "Available" for non admin users

Jeremy
2008-04-09
2013-01-20
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    2008-04-09

Hello, would like to say that I am really liking Data Crow.  I had a question though about non-admin users being able to see if items were available or unavailable.  For the non-admin users I create, I cannot see the available category when in table view.  I can see when logged in as admin.  I have the "visible" box checked for available for each module, but I can't edit the "field settings".  Is there a way for non-admin users to see if media is available?

Also, I am the one who emailed about using data crow online.  I didn't realize there was a forum.  I asked if you knew anything about being able to make the database from Data Crow available for people to search online.

thanks

• Hi!

Which version are you using?

There is no online searching being planned as yet.

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-04-12

I am using version 3.2.0.2 (lates version)

Basically, if I create a non admin account with no pluggin permissions and only viewing permissions for the modules, it doesn't show me or even let me search what is available.

If, on the other hand i give pluggin permissions (not sure which one exactly, but I gave permission for all except "report" and "change look" I will try to figure out which one does it if that will help) then it allows me to view and search the available.  

• Ah, now I remember.. it's probably the Loan plugin.

This is a bug. Will be fixed for the next release.

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-04-12

That was part of it, i was playing around a little bit.  You have to have the load plug-in enabled as well as the Contact Person module enabled.  If i uncheck everything in the Contact Person module for that user (i.e. disabling it) and have the loan plug-in enabled you still can't see the available (and vice versa) 

The problem is, that even if I have just one item checked in the Contact Person module, the user still can see everything displayed for that module.  So if the admin can see the Contact Persons name and address and I enable only "item" to be visible by another user (so that the module is enabled), when that user clicks on Contact Person, they are still able to see the name, address.

Thanks 

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-04-12

blah, typo, should have read "You have to have the LOAN plug-in enbale as well as teh Contact Person module enabled"

Thanks

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-05-06

I haven't updated since i noticed this issue, but I just updated to 3.2.2.1 and this problem is still occuring.  If I have all checkboxes under the "contact" module unchecked, then I cannot see "Availability".  I no longer need the loan plugin to be enabled though, it only seems to be occuring if the "contact" module is disabled.

Thanks for working so hard on this project.

• Good to hear that it is fixed. It is by design that the loan functionality is completely disabled after disabling the contact person module. Maybe it is a flaw in the design. The problem is that when the contact person module is disabled no information can be retrieved on  the person who loaned something. I could still show the availability but not who currently has the item.

I'll give this some more thought.

Thank you for taking the time to write down this issue :)

Cheers,
        Robert Jan

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-05-08

I see.  My only contention was having names of contact people veiwable by everyone, especially in a public setting.  I thought a good work around would be to set the "feild settings" to show a certain feild but not give the non-admin user permission to view that setting, but regardless of if the non-admin user has permission to view that feild it still shows up.  Perhaps that is a bug that could be fixed.  For example, if I make the 'name' field visible in the 'feild settings', but don't give the non-admin permission to view the 'name' feild, when I log into the non-admin user I can still see the 'name' field. 

I also, tried as a work around to set a blank feild to visable under feild settings, but when I log into non-admin users if I open that contact, there name shows up at the top of the box.

Anyway, just something to think about :)

Thanks

• Ah, I can see the confusion. The field settings have nothing to do with authorization. The view attribute in the field settings will show or hide this field from the view (well, to be honost, only from the table view as the list view is more static). By default these hidden fields will still be shown in the item form (its a setting in the general settings called something like 'show hidden fields in the item form). This is something from back in the beginning of Data Crow when there was only a table view. I will review this and see if names/labels/functionality should be changed.

The only way to hide the field from a user is to actively withdraw its permissions. This is done via the permission tabs of the user (in the item form).

And yes you are right, it is something to think about :)

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• Also please note that the field settings are not user dependend, the field settings apply for all users (this also why only admin users can change these settings). The permissions are of course per user. Anyway, to hide one of the fields you can also set the field to 'disabled' in the field settings, which will make it unavailable to all users.

It's flexible and maybe somewhat complex :)

To sum it all up:
      - Field settings:
        ~Hide fields from the view (and if the settings apply also from the item form). These fields will still be updated by the system when performing operations like online search / update.
        ~Disable fields. Make the field unavailable within the system. It will not be shown anywhere and applies to all users.

- User Permissions :
        ~ Sets the field access (read/write)
        ~ Makes the field unavailable to this user. The user will never be able to update or see this field. Operations like the online search will not update the field for this user.

Robert Jan

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-05-08

Thanks for the info.  I have been tinkering with it.  But its worth considering for future implementation.  I know this program is being developed for the home user.  But I volunteer at a local collective community and volunteer supported and run library who are committed to only using open source software.  We are going to implement this program as our database program.  We are planning to put the program not only on the volunteer desk (where we check out books) but on the computers we have for the community to use in order for our patrons to be able to search the database to see what books we had and if they were available.  For other small libraries like ours, it might be a benefit to be able to have the ability for patrons to independently search for books and thier availability without having to access other patrons information (even if its just thier name).

Luckily we are going to be inputing numbers rather than names for our patrons (a decision made by the collective to protect from hackers independent of this software) so being able to see the numbers won't reveal any sensitive information and no other information other than thier number will be stored on the computer.  But to discourage anyone from attempting to hack the system, even though there won't be any information to gain from it, I was hoping to disable the contact information module so that there would be no reason for people to think there was any sensitive information on it to begin with.

And by the way, I demoed the program to a few of the volunteers and they were estatic about it :) .  They couldn't believe how professional it looked.  You really have done a great job on it.  We are just about to start inputing books and hopefully have it fully online soon.

• That is really good to hear :)

If you run into any issues, have question or have feature request please don''t hesitate in contacting me (either via the forums or via email).

I don't know if this is of interest to you but I am currently working on a web module (see that last news item on this site). This will allow users to query for items remotely by using the browser.

Robert Jan

• Jeremy
      Jeremy
      2008-05-21

Thanks for the support.  You have already done a great job at responding to issues that have arisen.  So far it is going good.  I will let you know if I come across any trouble or think of any features that would help.

I read about the Web module.  That is great to hear.  I look forward to it, it will really help us out.

Jeremy