Can you explain what "container&q...

charles
2012-11-16
2013-01-20
  • charles
    charles
    2012-11-16

I can't find any explanation in the Help or online.  But I see people are using it.  Of course every item could be put in a container (in the physical world).  How is this used and when would I want to use it (or not)?

Thanks
    Charles

• Containers can be used to place items in. I use for example for my Audio CD's o indicate where they are in the CD Suitcase. In that case the Container is "001" (for example). This Container has a parent called "CD Case". This way I can locate my items. For Software the Container is simply the CD number.

So you don't have to use it but it can be beneficial. Main usage is to indicate where an item is.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Robert

• charles
    charles
    2012-11-19

Thanks, but I'm still confused. What is a CD "Suitcase"?   Where is the Container (in View) with its CD Number?  The only place I see Container is in the Quick Filter dropdown.  And is the Container always a number, or is that just the database id?

Also, what determines the contents of the Description window?  I tried setting up a module for Posters and the Description window just shows the database id numbers.

Fantastic program, by the way.  I've been looking for something like this for years, I've read most of the Help contents but I still need to understand how it works.

Charles

• Hi Charles,

The Field settings (located in the settings menu) determines which field is used as the label for the item (CTRL-T is the shortcut to get there). Mark any of the fields there as "descriptive" will use that field as the label for each item in that module.

The Container can be a number or a description. I generally use it to describe the location of the item. I also use the container field to group my items on in the "Group By"  overview. I think you could just stay away from using the field until you find a use for it. 

Hope this helps,
    Robert