Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Loan all items inside a container?

THL
2013-06-20
2013-09-02
  • THL
    THL
    2013-06-20

Greetings,
    first of all: congratulations. This is an awesome piece of software. I've spent the last two days downloading, trying and failing at way too many pieces of catalog and rental software and now here comes one that isn't only intuitive, but also highly customizable and open souce to go along with it.

Nevertheless, there is one feature maybe not implemented or that I am overlooking. So in case this has been discussed before (and I was too stupid to find the right search terms) please be gentle.

I would like to use Data Crow to create an inventory of all our technical equipment (laptops, printers, beamer, etc.) in the little company I work in. The module wizard is heaven sent and a USP compared to the other stuff I encountered only a few hours ago. It will do just fine.

Much of the equipment goes into sets for we have contractors who need to work in the field. So after (or while) creating the equipment in DC, I can assign it to a container. However when I loan a container only the container is marked lent. Everything inside it is still listed as available.

Is there a way to tell Data Crow that the container should be handled as a parent for all the equipment inside, meaning loan the container -> loan all equipment inside of it?

Thanks for taking your time reading this. I really hope I'm just missing a checkbox somewhere as this software is a perfect fit otherwise.

With best regards,
    Tobias

Last edit: THL 2013-06-21
  • THL
    THL
    2013-07-01

Ok, maybe a workaround would be possible:
    is it possible to loan several items in the database to one person for the same time interval without going through the procedure for each single item.
    I am coming from GLPI (http://www.glpi-project.org/) and it has got the same problem, that is driving me nuts: loaning a set of 40+ items to the same person for the same time span takes up about half an hour. I'd really like to be more productive with this procedure, hence my question and nagging.

With best regards,
    Tobias

• Hi,

There is indeed no option to manage all the items through the container. That is a very good idea and I will add it to the requested features.

Luckily you can loan multiple items at once to a person. Simply selected the items from the view, right-click, select loan administration. This is only possible if all items are currently available (not lend).

Hope this helps,
    Robert

• THL
    THL
    2013-07-01

Robert,
    thank you for your reply. I was not aware of the loan administration for multiple items in the right-click menu. I will use that. Since I can filter by container, it'll speed things up significantly (in theory at least).
    If you don't mind me asking: with containers being loanable, is there a use case, where the container gets loaned (pardon my English: to loan/to lend/to borrow... I never manage to use those appropriately) but the contents of it stays? Seeing the container category I thought it was a perfect fit for my needs until I discovered its shortcoming (for my use case at least).

With best regards,
    Tobias

• THL
    THL
    2013-07-01

Robert,
    I have just checked out, what you have suggested and while true, there is still one circumstance getting in the way: the lack of a global view.
    As I have stated in my first post: there are different items of different categories in each of my containers (laptop, printer, beamer, ...) all created with a custom module wizard. Now, I can loan all items of the same module in the same container with the loan administration, however I am unable to get all items of one container inside one list devoid of the module/category they belong to.
    There is the items tab inside the container properties that already does this, however I am only able to open them one by one from that listing. Accessing the loan manager from that view is not possible.
    Am I overlooking a global/all view?

Last edit: THL 2013-07-01
  • This has been added in version 3.11:
    - You can lend a container and all of it's items will be lend accordingly
    - You can still return and lend items individually, however, if you change the loan information on the container the loan status of all its item will match the status of the container.

Robert

• Additionally, from the loan administration panel you can now also select multiple items, right-click and administer the loans all at once.

• THL
    THL
    2013-09-02

Robert,
    awesome news! Thank you very much. I've been on vacation the last weeks hence I only noticed the updates now. I'm overjoyed and will start implementing DC here right away.

Last edit: THL 2013-09-02