How to delete publisher or authors

megathaum
2013-05-11
2013-05-13
  • megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-11

Book Module -
    I can't find a way to delete a publisher or author. There seems to be no delete option for those two except when I click on their name from a book's item form. But as they seem to be references, I am not allowed to delete it while they are linked to a book. I can't find a separate management interface for those two as there are for categories, languages etc in the administration menu.

There's one work-around that I tested. I can export the catalog to an xml file, copy over an empty database file and then import the file again. It then recreates those references from scratch. But it's cumbersome and I really don't want to do that all the time.

Any other solutions or something obvious I didn't see? Thanks.

• djaida
    djaida
    2013-05-11

What I do if I need to delete an author or publisher is, I click on their name, then on related items, double click the item in question, and then in the authors/publishers area, just double click on their name and that unlinks them from the item. Do that for all the related items until you have none and you will then be able to click on the delete button to remove the author.

• megathaum
    megathaum
    2013-05-12

Wonderful. Thank you!
    I tried before to remove the author from the book, and then remove the author. But that didn't work. Now I tried your suggestion and this way it works. Not sure what the difference is, but as long as it works I'm happy. Cheers!

• djaida
    djaida
    2013-05-13

I'm not an expert in databases, but I think it has to do with disconnecting a link between two elements. Like for example, if you want to safely eject a USB from Windows, you can't do that if a document saved on it is open somewhere. That's how I understand it at least.

You're welcome!