Sorting containers

djaida
2013-01-28
2013-02-05
  • djaida
    djaida
    2013-01-28

Hi,

I see that there have been questions on sorting, but I haven't been able to find any on sorting containers. I created some containers to help me find my books easier. I used the UDC number and short description to help me sort them, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have several bookcases which have five individual shelves, so my naming scheme is for example 004 CSIS01 and 004 CSIS02 for the first two bookcases (computer science and information systems books), then 01A-01E/02A-02E for the shelves, 32 PSIR03 and 32 PSIR04 for the second two (political science books) + 03A-03E/04A-04E etc.

Right now, the container that shows up first in the left window is CSIS02. How can I make them sort according to their UDC numbers and also, how can I make the individual items in containers sort, either alphabetically by title, or if possible, by a user column I added for call numbers.

Image attached.

my containers

Thank you in advance!

• Could you create a change request for this?

Thanks, Robert

• djaida
    djaida
    2013-02-05

Hi Robert, I will, and I have an update: I discovered (literally an hour ago) that I can sort the child containers by clicking on the parent container and right-click > sort > and then select fields Name and Container type and Sort order Ascending.

That unfortunately doesn't work on the individual shelves, so the books there aren't sorted by name (I also tried adding the Location field where I record the call number, but I wasn't able to):

Attachments