gmake install error

Help
Anonymous
2010-05-06
2013-04-25

• Anonymous
    2010-05-06

Hi, tried to install dacs-1.4.24 but receives the following errors on my Fedora Core release 6 box. Advice please.

Kind regards
    Fredrik Nygren

# gmake install
    Which user name/id should own DACS files ? nobody
    Which group name/id should own DACS files ? apache
    gcc -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing  -Wno-unused -Wno-pointer-sign -fPIC   -I. -I../include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/kerberos/include   -I`/usr/local/apache-dacs/bin/apxs -q INCLUDEDIR`    \
    -o version.o -c version.c
    In file included from ../include/dacs.h:51,
                     from version.c:23:
    ../include/local.h:497:1: warning: "malloc" redefined
    In file included from ../include/local.h:49,
                     from ../include/dacs.h:51,
    ../include/dacs_config.h:551:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    In file included from ../include/dacs.h:51,
    ../include/local.h:500:1: warning: "realloc" redefined
    In file included from ../include/local.h:49,
                     from ../include/dacs.h:51,
    ../include/dacs_config.h:557:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    In file included from /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/apr_general.h:28,
                     from /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/ap_release.h:25,
                     from version.c:59:
    /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/apr.h: In function ‘dacs_component_versions’:
    /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/apr.h:285: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘apr_off_t’
    /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/apr.h:285: error: ‘apr_off_t’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/apr.h:285: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /usr/local/apache-dacs/include/apr.h:285: error: for each function it appears in.)
    gmake: ***  Error 1

• Barry Brachman
    Barry Brachman
    2010-05-06

Hi Fredrik -

As you probably know, Fedora Core 6 is relatively old (around 4 years).  I'm not surprised to see build problems on that
    platform - we do not test or (officially) support it.

I think I see two different problems happening with your build.
    To solve the first one, edit include/local.h in the DACS distribution and insert the following lines at line 497:

#undef malloc
    #undef calloc
    #undef free
    #undef realloc
    #undef reallocf
    #undef strdup

This should eliminate the warnings about the redefinitions that follow.

The second problem is probably caused by something not quite right with your installation of Apache or configuration
    of DACS that results in some Apache header files not being included. I assume you're working with Apache 2.2.15,
    or something very close to that.
    Review the instructions in dacs.install(7) in subsection 3 of the "Installing DACS" section, especially the
    -with-apr and -with-apr-util flags when building Apache.  Then review the -with-apache-apr flag when
    configuring DACS.

Because of the age of your platform you could run into more problems after you solve these two, but it's probably
    worth a try to solve them and see what happens next.

Hope this helps.
    Barry

Barry Brachman
    Distributed Systems Software
    http://www.dss.ca