how does it work?

2006-03-07
2013-04-02
  • Anthony Warden
    Anthony Warden
    2006-03-07

Can you please summarize method of interaction with CVS  - this is beacuse I wan't to use the tool features - but before I can have it installed in my corporate environment I need to explain to others the method of interaction with CVS , how complex it is, what the CPU and IO reqs are likely to be, how tightly coupled it is with the repository etc.

• mkolakow
      mkolakow
      2006-03-28

Hi.  I'm not sure what you mean by method of interaction.  I do know that CVSmonitor issues cvs commands to your repository.  It then uses the results to do its thing.

It's really not all that complex from a user's point of view.  It is fairly easy to install.

Also, I wouldn't worry about CPU and IO requirements.  It only runs when you update it.  So for me, we used to update it every other day or so.  And on an old 800Mhz or so computer, that took a whole 30 seconds to a minute for 100,000 lines of code.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by tightly coupled with the repository.  It won't affect your repository at all.  Think of it as getting information...like a tachometer on a car.  The engine doesn't care about the gauge, but it's sure nice to see.

Let me just say, use the tool!  It's great and you will find you use it a whole lot.  We sure did.

Regards,
      Michael