Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Pidgin crashes when enabline currenttrack :(

Justin
2007-05-22
2013-04-25
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Justin
    Justin
    2007-05-22

This is my second attempt in as many days, trying to get this problem fixed. I installed currenttrack 1.1 yesterday, enabled it in the "plugins", and it promptly froze. After quitting the program, I then reopened it and disabled the plugin (nothing else), and it proceeded to work without a hitch. Trust me, this process was repeated many a time. I also tried Music Tracker (a branch off this project), only to wind up with the same results. Today, I installed currenttrack 1.2, and still got freezing of pidgin. Perhaps theres something missing in my computer that currentrack needs to run? should i post the output of ./configure in terminal? Ill do pretty much anything to get this fixed asap..lol

• Ilyanep
      Ilyanep
      2007-05-23

CurrentTrack [the version released a few weeks ago] not the one released yesterday, seems to make Pidgin crash after 10 or so minutes of Pidgin running with it enabled. I wonder if the release yesterday fixed that?

• Ilyanep
      Ilyanep
      2007-05-23

(It didn't)

• John Roark
        John Roark
        2007-05-23

Sorry you are having issues... I should probably do more testing before releases (or at least do unstable releases for testing first). Your problem is probably the Amazon.com album art fetching code (it is notoriously buggy). I will eventually get around to making it more robust and less prone to bringing down Pidgin.

• Justin
          Justin
          2007-05-23

The thing is, antagonizt, that none of the options are checked in the plugin options...except for "check for updates". I cant even get a bug report since pidgin doesnt crash, it freezes...and i have to quit it myself.

• John Roark
            John Roark
            2007-05-24

see the posting below by whatisthatthing... apparently he tracked down a bug in the auto update code

• Justin
              Justin
              2007-05-24

I saw it..but im not sure what to make of it. I reopened pidgin, enabled currenttrack, and disabled all the plugin options, and it still froze on me

• Debug version says the case is related to querying the Currenttrack server. I did not have the Amazon.com option checked at the times I tried it. I think it has to do with updating the program.

• And by "tried it", I mean "when the program crashed." I wasn't paying very good attention when I wrote that.

• And by "updating the program" I meant "checking for updates". Jeez. Sorry.

• John Roark
        John Roark
        2007-05-24

Thanks for the detective work I'm about to do a major overhaul of the code (it's pretty messy right now) I'll add it to the list of things to fix

• Ilyanep
          Ilyanep
          2007-05-24

That's really cool.

Just wanted to mention that I've looked at many plugins that do the same thing and CurrentTrack is definitely my favorite [and the only one I really want to use, for multiple reasons]. Keep up the good work :)

• luminous lemon
      luminous lemon
      2007-05-24

if you need beta testers gimme a shout.

• Erik Grudzien
      Erik Grudzien
      2007-05-24

Please read this thread in the Pidgin forum: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1740073&forum_id=665

The problem is caused by earlier versions of CurrentTrack (1.0, 1.1) when they go to check for updates, and assumibly since the problem only started to occur in the last few days, when there was a new version available, there is some bug when it goes to report there is a new version available. The debug code from Pidgin is posted in that other thread, and seems to support this. Since updating to 1.2, which I didn't know was out till an hour ago, Pidgin has yet to crash on me. However, this doesn't meen the bug is fixed, as there is currently not a version greater to 1.2 out, so once a new version comes out people might have the same problem.

• John Roark
      John Roark
      2007-05-24

Alright guys... I tracked down the update bug. It is not fixed in 1.2 so I would suggest everyone turn the check for updates option off. Turns out the Pidgin plugin API docs haven't been fully updated and I was passing the wrong args to a pidgin API that is incorrectly documented... but I digress. The fix is in SVN and will be in the next release which you will know about when Pidgin starts crashing ;)

Anyone that is feeling brave and is comfortable building from source can checkout the source and build (easiest from linux).

svn co https://currenttrack.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/currenttrack/trunk/currenttrack currenttrack
      cd currenttrack
      vi configure.ac [change the version to something lower than 1.2]
      ./reconf
      ./configure && make
      sudo make install

It's fun I promise

• Justin
      Justin
      2007-05-28

I dunno if this means anything, but when I opened up the debug window, I found that this error message kept popping up repeatedly:

dbus: Need to register an object with the dbus subsystem.
      g_log: file dbus-server.c: line 118 (purple_dbus_pointer_to_id): should not be reached

well, for the first time ever, my currenttrack plugin is working, and all i did was...open up the debug window? (doesnt make sense to me, either)

On the other hand, Pidgin keeps quitting when i enable my AIM account (even with currenttrack disabled, it seems), so I dunno what to do..

• Justin
      Justin
      2007-05-28

I also got these error messages (in red) in debug when I opened pidgin, for reference:

g_log: file dnsquery.c: line 618 (purple_dnsquery_a): should not be reached
      upnp: purple_upnp_parse_description(): control URL is NULL

g_log: purple_blist_remove_buddy: assertion `buddy != NULL' failed

plugins: /usr/local/lib/purple-2/libjabber.so is not usable because the 'purple_init_plugin' symbol could not be found.  Does the plugin call the PURPLE_INIT_PLUGIN() macro?

plugins: /usr/local/lib/purple-2/liboscar.so is not usable because the 'purple_init_plugin' symbol could not be found.  Does the plugin call the PURPLE_INIT_PLUGIN() macro?

and yes, Pidgin runs fine when AIM is disabled (with currenttrack enabled), but when AIM is enabled, Pidgin just crashes; after doing this a couple of times, my AIM account becomes frozen, and i cant login to my AIM sn for another 10 minutes...maybe i should report this problem to the Pidgin developers :(

• thisisaspace
      thisisaspace
      2007-05-29

I'm using the windows version of pidgin and currenttrack and i suspect i'm having a similar problem. unfortunately a fatal error message appears before i have enough time to change the settings, and disabling aim doesn't help. disabling all my IM doesn't help. :p

the error message says it's an unspecified fatal error, then when you click okay, a runtime error from Visual C++ runtime library appears.

just in case it's any use.

• thisisaspace
        thisisaspace
        2007-05-29

oh yea. when i come back, currenttrack isn't enabled.

• Did you uncheck the automatic update box in Currenttrack options?

• thisisaspace
            thisisaspace
            2007-07-03

no. like i said. an error popped up before i had the chance.

• luminous lemon
      luminous lemon
      2007-05-30

you can manually edit the currenttrack options in the prefs.xml to turn off the update.

open the prefs file which you will find on xp here:
      C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\.purple\prefs.xml

and search for 'currenttrack' and you will see this line:

<pref name='update' type='bool' value='1'/>

change the 1 to a 0.

that worked for me.

• Craig
      Craig
      2007-06-03

I tried editing the prefs.xml per the above post, and it didn't change the problem - pidgin crashes as soon as I start the program. Pidgin 2.0 was unstable (random crashes), and 2.0.1 will not run at all - it crashes before the program is completely started. BTW, I am using iTunes, and do not have iTunes running right now...

Starts iTunes. Having iTunes running makes no difference. Removing the currenttrack.dll file restores operation of pidgin. I will wait for an update.

• randrake
      randrake
      2007-06-06

I've had the crashes. One thing I had was my own screen name in my buddy list so I could see the status changes and such. I removed my name from my buddy list, listened to a few songs then added it back in. So far, no more crashing. It's still early to say this will fix issues of anyone here. But supplying it to see how many with the problems had themselves on their buddy list just to see the status stuff too.

One thing this did fix was before I couldn't see my icon change on the buddy list even though it changed in the buddy icon area at the bottom. After the delete, listen to a few songs, then re-add I see my own buddy icon change on the buddy list too again.

• Craig
        Craig
        2007-06-08

I also have my own account in my Buddy List. Removing my own icon made no difference - Pidgin crashes before opening after installation of currenttrack. Removing the currenttrack.dll allows pidgin to run normally.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)