ESP C310 AIO - Printer Stalls

Anonymous
2011-03-21
2013-02-18

• Anonymous
    2011-03-21

I just loaded the Cup driver for a Kodak ESP C310 AIO.  All print attempts end with the same result.  The Paper feeds about 1/4 page and stops.  The LCD on the printer displays "Printing" but nothing happens.  Eventually, the printer job leaves the queue but the printer never resets.  Any solutions?

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2011-03-21

This could be related to 2 existing problems:
    1. We have some obscure problem that seems to affect some pdf files. versions later than c2esp13 might suffer from this problem.
    2. Sometimes in version c2esp15, if the computer is fast and sends all the data before the printer has printed much, the printer can timeout before finishing the printing. This should be fixed by using c2esp16.

Both the problems above seem to be not very common (at least not many people are asking for help with them).

Can you give more detail about the problem?:
    which version of c2esp?
    which linux distro?
    What program are you printing from? Did you try others?
    Are you printing 1 page or many pages?
    Did you try printing the test page in cups?

When a print job stalls like this I find that I can press the power key on the printer (ESP5250 in my case), and after about 5 minutes the printer will restart and eject the stalled sheet of paper. (Not much help, I know)

It's worth trying c2esp08. It seems the most reliable. Later versions add features like better colours, reductions in memory use etc, c2esp08 works OK, especially if you print mostly black and white text.

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2011-03-21

Also - I don't know this printer ESP C310. perhaps it's different from the others?
    Does anyone else have experience of it working / not working?

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2011-03-25

Try c2esp17. It may solve this problem.

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2011-03-29

If ESP C310 does not work with c2esp18, I'd be interested to see what you get when you do print to file in windows.

• vovant
    vovant
    2011-06-20

I have ESP C315. I tried to print test page with c2esp18 (kubuntu 10.10) and have the same behavior: \
    "The Paper feeds about 1/4 page and stops"

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2011-06-21

So it looks as though something is different in the ESP C3xx series.
    It will be difficult to fix this without a printer, but it could help if someone using windows could print a small (say A5 size) black and white print at draft resolution, using the print to file option, and then send me the file (quandry at ntlworld.com).

• Anonymous
    2011-08-19

I have the ESP C315 and I am also seeing the printer stall after feeding about 1/4 page. I am running Ubuntu 11.04 386 version and the ESP version 18 software (as the deb file).

I can print to the device from Windows XP within a VM and everything works rather well so I can provide samples etc if this will help to get the printer working under Linux. Please let me know what you need.

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2011-08-20

See the notes file in the folder ESP Cnnn Sample Files.
    I will try and keep this notes file up to date if you want t o follow progress with support for these printers, or if you want to contribute.

• Nick
    Nick
    2013-01-13

I've got the ESP C310, I installed c2esp25 and have the same issue where it feeds 1/4 the way in and stalls. The printer works fine from Windows and OSX, just Ubuntu 12.04 32bit it does this.

I removed this and installed c2esp23 from Ubuntu repository via the app store. Photos, documents print off ok but webpages from Chromium and Firefox have a lot of detail missing. For example print Google home page and in Chromium most the page is missing, in Firefox you get the search box, top menu but neither show the logo. BBC News page results in 1 blank page, 2nd page is normal, 3 page black. This repeats for any webpage unless you screenshot and print the screenshot ! Any ideas?

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2013-01-13

It's more likely that the missing bits of web pages are a problem in the conversion process from webpage to ps or pdf format than a problem in c2esp. I'll see if I can find anything about this elsewhere.

The 1/4 page feeding problem is surprising. The only suggestion I have for the time being is that you should ensure that when you install a different version of c2esp that you also reselect the pdf file in the cups printer queue set up process so as to be sure that you have the pdf file that came with the version of c2esp that you are using.
    Generally when you are going to change versions it's a good idea to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

I think ubuntu 12.04 might be the last version that can use c2esp-23 because 12.10 and later have cups 1.6.x

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2013-01-13

I just tried doing print preview of the google page and that shows the page with the logo missing. As far as I know, print preview does not use any parts of the printer filter (c2esp), and would affect all printers.
    I have xubuntu 12.10, firefox, c2esp-26
    So I think this missing parts of webpage problem is a general problem. It might be good to discuss on the ubuntu forum here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/

• Nick
    Nick
    2013-01-13

Thanks, maybe a bad example then using google page. I can print preview pages or print to PDF I will generally see the entire page excluding the background picture. This came to light as my parents who are using the laptop cannot print off a voucher from asda which I got to print from OSX and Windows. I tried several pages, BBC News as well and get odd results from Ubuntu. I'm using Chrome and Firefox on all platforms, OSX and Windows give the same results.

Anyway I'll remove the current version c2esp23 and go back to c2esp17 as suggested above.

I'll try c2esp26 as well if 17 doesn't work.

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2013-01-13

Yes, I just found that the missing bit of the google page seems to be a "background image" (whatever that means). Maybe that's something that firefox has not yet implemented in printing.

I only suggested version 17 nearly 2 years ago, before I knew what was different about the Cnnn series.
    No version earlier than 20 should work at all with a Cnnn printer.

Today I would only recommend installing versions 23 or higher, that are in ubuntu repositories, or version 26 which you currently have to compile from the source code.

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2013-01-13

I can now make the google logo print in firefox by doing the following:
    Print...
    Select the printer
    Select the "Options" tab
    tick the box "print background images"
    click the "print" button

But the page still does not print properly. The menu and buttons do not print.
    I suspect this is a firefox problem, not a cups or c2esp problem.

• Nick
    Nick
    2013-01-20

I went back to c2esp23 but printing of webpages isn't correct still, everything else prints fine. I then installed c2esp25 and got the same results.

My sites I'm testing on are:
    http://www.asda.com
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, Chromium. On the BBC News page it will print to file / PDF from all browsers as you'd expect so output appears to work. If you print to a Kodak ESP C310, page 1 is blank, page 2 is as you'd expect, page 3 is blank. Its very odd, all three do the same. If I print BBC News to PDF, as I said it looks fine onscreen but when I print I get page 1 blank, page 2 is normal, page 3 is blank !

Going around in circles I decided to try Opera and everything prints normally! Not that I really want to run Opera but it seems I'm stuck with it for now.

Out of interest does BBC News page print off ok for anyone else ?

• Nick
    Nick
    2013-01-20

I went back to c2esp23 but printing of webpages isn't correct still, everything else prints fine. I then installed c2esp25 and got the same results.

My sites I'm testing on are:
    http://www.asda.com
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, Chromium. On the BBC News page it will print to file / PDF from all browsers as you'd expect so output appears to work. If you print to a Kodak ESP C310, page 1 is blank, page 2 is as you'd expect, page 3 is blank. Its very odd, all three do the same. If I print BBC News to PDF, as I said it looks fine onscreen but when I print I get page 1 blank, page 2 is normal, page 3 is blank !

Going around in circles I decided to try Opera and everything prints normally! Not that I really want to run Opera but it seems I'm stuck with it for now.

Out of interest does BBC News page print off ok for anyone else ?

• PaulN
    PaulN
    2013-01-20

Using Firefox, when I print the asda page to pdf (or ps) it does not work correctly.

• Nick
    Nick
    2013-02-18

Ubuntu default PDF reader prints things off with strange results on this printer. Using Adobe Acrobat Reader in ubuntu and it prints fine.....

Its all rather odd...