Ctags-5.7 has been released.
I know that it has been an eternity since the last ctags release. Ctags has now moved to having multiple developers and I have moved to using a Mac. These have required a number of changes in how ctags is managed. When combined with my stressful and challenging family situation this has long delayed what I had intended to get out long ago. Hopefully, most hurdles have now been overcome and future releases should be much easier to manage.
This release has lots of bug fixes and a few new features.
The changes notes are as follows:
ctags-5.7 (04 Sep 2007)
* Added support for DIM AS [Freebasic, Bug #1741778].
* Added support for arbitrary nesting depth [Python, Bug #1684786, Debian bug #409078].
* Added support for verbatim string literals [C#, Bug #1515910].
* Added support for .ctags as well as ctags.cnf on Windows [Bug #1246506].
* Added support for non-extern, non-static functions returning wchar_t, contributed by Aaron Peromsik [C++, Patch #1458930].
* Added support for numerous revision control systems including Bazaar and Mercurial [Bug #1472894].
* Added support for enums [Java, Bug #1730485, Bug #1517143, Patch #1027395, Patch #1528507].
* Added support for multiple-level namespace declarations [C#].
* Added .svn to list of directories ignored during recursion (--recurse).
* Added support for BlitzBasic, PureBasic and FreeBasic [FR #1100506].
* Added support for interfaces and static/public/protected/private functions [PHP].
* Added support for 'package' keyword [Perl].
* Added support for multi-line subroutine, package, and constant definitions [Perl].
* Added support for optional subroutine declarations [Perl].
* Added support for formats [Perl].
* Added support for new convert keyword [Eiffel].
* Added optional tags for forward variable declarations (e.g. 'struct C;') [C, C++].
* Changed parsing of option input file (-L) to strip trailing white space.
* Ignore comments mixed into definitions and declarations [Perl].
* Fixed detecting labels with whitespace after label name [Perl, Bug #1752361]
* Fixed parsing of generic classes/interfaces [Java, Bug #1447756].
* Fixed misidentification of fully qualified function calls as labels [Perl].
* Fixed parsing of inner classes [Python, Bug #1411963].
* Fixed line continuation [Python, Bug #928001, Patch #819471].
* Fixed parsing of annotations [Java, Bug #1691412].
* Fixed block-comment parsing [Verilog, Patch #1458042, Bugs #960316, #1111214, #1606569, #1615060].
* Fixed typo in man page [Debian bug #366412].
* Fixed missing chunk of text in man page and over-use of hyphens in UTF-8 locales [Debian bug #271323].
* Fixed parsing of ` as a method name [Ruby].
* Fixed parsing of keywords in string literals [Ruby, Bug #1742588].
* Fixed potential segmentation violation [Bug #1672834, Bug #1222926].
* Fixed parsing of destructors with whitespace after the '~' [C++, Bug #1585745].
* Fixed default access of unions to be public [C++, Bug #1548443].
* Fixed various memory leaks, mostly contributed by Dmitry Antipov.
* Fixed parsing of `define [Verilog, Bug #961001].
* Fixed crashes involving '/' [Verilog, Bug #1743330].
* Fixed compilation problem on MinGW [Bug #1517424].
* Fixed generation of HTML-formatted man page [Bug #1645864].
* Fixed recognition of Python scripts having '#!/usr/bin/python' as first line [Bug #1764148].
* Fixed parsing of Fortran comment-to-end-of-line with no newline before EOF [Debian bug #432872].
* Fixed parsing of << [C/C++, Bugs #1020715, #1093123, #1770479, #1770607].
* Fixed parsing of fully-qualified type names [Java, Bug #814263].
* Fixed handling of lone carriage-return characters in file [Bug #1773926].