Compiling with MSVC Toolkit 2003?

Help
2004-09-02
2004-09-06
  • Hugh Perkins
    Hugh Perkins
    2004-09-02

How can I go about compiling Crystal for use with the Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?

(That means: I cant read dsp or dsw files, but I do have gnumake, jam, cl.exe, link.exe and so on)

Hugh

• F Richter
      F Richter
      2004-09-02

At the moment, you can't.

Support would be probably possible by adding configure support for the Toolkit (and Platform SDK, as the Toolkit is just a compiler, but no Win32 headers or libs). However, it doesn't come with link libraries for the dynamically linked VC runtime, so this may or may not have to worked around somehow.

However, considering that there's already a free compiler (and furthermore, a set of Win32 headers and libs) for Win32 that's already supported by and known to work well with CS, namely GCC incarnated as MinGW&MSYS, adding VC Toolkit support is (IMHO) not that worthwhile.

• Hugh Perkins
      Hugh Perkins
      2004-09-04

Each compiler has good points/bad points.  I like cl.exe because it runs very fast.

Would it be possible please to provide one of the following for cl.exe:
      - nmake file
      - gnumake file
      - jam file

If I have to I might consider migrating my project (http://metaverse.sourceforge.net) to use mingw, or write a C-wrapper around Crystal, but if someone could make the msvc binaries available - or a suitable makefile - that would be tons easier.

Hugh Perkins

• Eric Sunshine
      Eric Sunshine
      2004-09-06

There are several wrapper programs which accept gcc options, translate them to Microsoft's cl.exe options, and then run cl.exe with those options. This might prove the simplest approach, and would perhaps allow you to configure CS with the normal "configure" script, and then build with Jam. One example is:

http://cccl.sourceforge.net/

A google search reveals a couple others, such as "wrapmsvc" and "clwrapper".

The next best approach, though much more work, would be to upgrade the CS configure.ac so that it recognizes cl.exe, along with cl.exe's options.

• Hugh Perkins
      Hugh Perkins
      2004-09-06

That sounds *extremely* interesting, and not just for Crystal: for any third-party library exposing a C++ interface; I'll give that a whirl.

Thanks for the heads-up, Eric.

Hugh

• Hugh Perkins
      Hugh Perkins
      2004-09-06

Ok, that looks like it could work.  An awful lot of configure runs, using cccl.

I'm getting the following error during configure:

"configure: error: zlib is essential for building CS."

zlib is made and made installed on my cygwin system (which is the configure environment being used here), and the cs win32 libraries for cygwin are installed.  Running configure without adding the export variables for cccl works ok (no blockage for zlib).

Hugh

• Eric Sunshine
        Eric Sunshine
        2004-09-06

Take a look inside the generated config.log to see why the zlib check is failing. Post a relevant config.log excerpt here if you can't figure out a solution for the failure.

• Hugh Perkins
      Hugh Perkins
      2004-09-06

Thanks, that was enough information to solve that problem.

Not out of the woods yet, but it's looking pretty good.  cccl is a very cool idea.

Hugh