1.11.0: missing XmlOutputter output on Sun

Larry West
2005-08-16
2013-04-22
  • Larry West
    Larry West
    2005-08-16

Using an old Sun compiler (Sun Workshop 6, 2000/04/07, C++ 5.1), with configure flags:
        --disable-shared
    and the remainder as suggested in INSTALL-unix:
        CC=acc CXX=CC CXXFLAGS="-pta -instances=static -mt -xtarget=generic -g -features=no%transitions -xildoff" LD=CC LDFLAGS=-xildoff

The problem: "make check" fails to generate any output from XmlOutputter, as this excerpt indicates:

----------
    XmlOutputterTest.cpp:61:Assertion
    Test name: XmlOutputterTest::testWriteXmlResultWithNoTest
    equality assertion failed
    - Expected: <TestRun><FailedTests></FailedTests><SuccessfulTests></SuccessfulTe
    sts><Statistics><Tests>0</Tests><FailuresTotal>0</FailuresTotal><Errors>0</Erro
    rs><Failures>0</Failures></Statistics></TestRun>
    - Actual  :
    - differ at index: 0
    ---------------

Same results from the later assertions on lines 96, 127, 156, and 220: all show empty "Actual" outputs.  I did the same on HP-UX with an ancient aCC (A.03.45) and on Cygwin with gcc 3.4.4 and did not have this problem.

I'm guessing it has to do with the age of the compiler (not long after the standard was finished) and probably something quirky in its implementation of ostream or ostringstream (oh, config-auto.h defines CPPUNIT_HAVE_CLASS_STRSTREAM, CPPUNIT_HAVE_SSTREAM, and FWIW CPPUNIT_HAVE_STRSTREAM), but it's a little awkward for me to debug on this machine, so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Larry West