Test Suite with common class member data?

2007-01-25
2013-04-22
  • Corey Wirun
    Corey Wirun
    2007-01-25

Hi All,

I want to set up multiple tests in a suite ('hosted' in a class).  I set up something like this:

class CTest : public CPPUNIT_NS::TestFixture
    {
      CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE( CTest );
      CPPUNIT_TEST( testLogon );
      CPPUNIT_TEST( testVol );
      CPPUNIT_TEST_SUITE_END();

public:
      CTest();
      ~CTest();

The problem is that I want to create/use a single database connection (in a member variable) that is common to all tests.  I tried to create a CTest constructor and destructor, but it appears that for every test I get setUp/tearDown AND the CTest constructor/destructor executed.  And getting rid of the constructor/destructor still means the setUp/tearDown run on every test...

This means that my database connection gets created and gets dropped on every test.  Is this by design?  I don't want to group multiple test cases under one suite test because this results in always a 100% success or a 100% failure of the suite.

Any guidance would be appreciated as this is my first use of CPPUnit.

Thanks in Advance!
    Corey Wirun

• otmane
      otmane
      2007-07-31

In my opinion u should not use a TestFixture, use a TestCase for every test u want, and group them in a CppUnit::TestSuite.
      Exemple :
      -create your database connection object
      -create your class of test : MyClass:public CppUnit::TestCase;
      -u pass the connection object and test parameters on the constructor of MyClass ...
      -u can create many test as u want with different parameters, then group them in a CppUnit::TestSuite
      -finally u run all tests
      -after tests finished u close the database connection

Sorry for my bad english, hope it will help u.