Menu

Ideas

Dan Day
2005-08-26
2013-04-17
  • Dan Day

Dan Day - 2005-08-26

For anyone that is browsing projects, how about you help me out a bit?

What would you like to see in a C++ lint program?

• Ulrik Sandborg-Petersen

Hi Razzer,

thanks for starting this project.  I wish you success in your endeavor to make it an outstanding resource for C++ programmers worlwide.  Obviously, for now it is still in its infancy, but I do hope you'll keep up the good work.

I think one of the next things you might want to add is support for ignoring comments.  Most non-toy C++ programs do have comments, and as far as I can tell, version 0.1 does not ignore comments.

Best wishes,

Ulrik P.

• Ulrik Sandborg-Petersen

Hi Razzer,

you may be interested in this FAQ article:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/coding-standards.html#faq-27.10

"Are there any lint-like guidelines for C++?"

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ulrik P.

• Dan Day

Dan Day - 2005-09-22

Thank you for replying. I will certainlly be looking to add a pre-pass handling most of the comments and other necessary preprocessing.

Right now I am just terribly busy with school so progress is a bit slow. More to come soon!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2005-10-17

I think its great that someone is making a free/oss alternative to the great pclint software (which is really expensive...).  The first thought that comes to mind is that adding "procedural C++" capability from the original lint sources would form a nice base to work with.
      C++ has backwards compatibility with C so it would be great if cpplint could work with the C compatibility layer.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but there are things that were improved upon with C++ like declaring variables where you use them as well as the new and delete keywords instead of mallocs that could be done for starters.
      Anyway, just a suggestion for you.  Thanks so much for starting this project up and I hope you can get a lot of help so it doesn't take ten years to catch up with the likes of pclint :)