Menu

importing postgres tables

Help
2003-09-30
2003-10-28
  • Ka Wang Yee

Ka Wang Yee - 2003-09-30

I am having trouble importing the tables from the 00_buildscript.sql dump file to postgresql db "cw".  I am using postgres 7.3 that comes with redhat linux 9.  This is the message i get at the beginning of the import:

psql:01_core.sql:21: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:23: ERROR:  Relation "person" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:37: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:51: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:66: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:81: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:90: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:111: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:132: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:141: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit
    index 'person_attribute_pkey' for table 'person_attribute'
    psql:01_core.sql:141: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
    'person_attribute_personid_key' for table 'person_attribute'
    psql:01_core.sql:141: ERROR:  Relation 'person_attribute' already exists
    psql:01_core.sql:155: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:164: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit
    index 'p_session_attribute_pkey' for table 'p_session_attribute'
    psql:01_core.sql:164: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
    'p_session_attribute_personid_key' for table 'p_session_attribute'
    psql:01_core.sql:164: ERROR:  Relation 'p_session_attribute' already exists
    psql:01_core.sql:173: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit
    index 'nexus_attribute_pkey' for table 'nexus_attribute'
    psql:01_core.sql:173: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
    'nexus_attribute_nexusid_key' for table 'nexus_attribute'
    psql:01_core.sql:173: ERROR:  Relation 'nexus_attribute' already exists
    psql:01_core.sql:189: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
    psql:01_core.sql:198:
    [3]+  Stopped                 psql cw <00_buildscript.sql

any help would be great,  Thanks!

• Sam Ottenhoff

Sam Ottenhoff - 2003-10-02

I posted a response to this question on coursework-help.

• Sam Ottenhoff

Sam Ottenhoff - 2003-10-03

Here is the response I posted on coursework-help:

Recent versions of Postgres have deprecated the column type 'datetime' in favor of the more standard 'timestamp'.

---------Quote from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/6.3/interactive/c0804.htm----
      In future releases, the number of date/time types will decrease, with the current implementation of datetime becoming timestamp, timespan becoming interval, and (possibly) abstime and reltime being deprecated in favor of timestamp and interval. The more arcane features of the date/time definitions from the SQL92 standard are not likely to be pursued.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are on a *nix system, here is an easy command to change all references of 'datetime' to 'timestamp':

find ./ -name \*sql |xargs perl -pi -e 's/datetime/timestamp/g'

Do older version of Postgres also support the timestamp column type?  Would there be any harm in changing the SQL files in CVS to comply with new versions of Postgres?  Would we be losing backward-compatability?

• Ian Boston

Ian Boston - 2003-10-16

On the issue of updating CVS with timestamp rather than datatime.

In pricipal, yes.

However I have noticed some issues with certain versions of functions that work with datetime but dont work with timestamp and some differences due to "timestamp with time zone" and "timestamp without timezone"  before changing all the datetime's to timestamps I would like to have done some testing to ensure it doesnt create additional bugs in the SQL within the java code.

Presumably those of you who have changed over are not having a problem with this ?

• Sam Ottenhoff

Sam Ottenhoff - 2003-10-20

I haven't noticed irregular behavior outside of the fact that my search-and-replace command was a little too global.  It should have avoided changing a couple of column names that were also named "datetime".

I also ran across some deprecated Postgres behavior in RegisterSQL.java.  It deals with current_timestamp and trying to add days to the current_timestamp without casting.  jrcole has a good solution to this problem.

• Ka Wang Yee

Ka Wang Yee - 2003-10-03

BTW, here is what happens with a fresh cw db.

# psql cw < 00_buildscript.sql
      psql:01_core.sql:21: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:23: ERROR:  Relation "person" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:37: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:51: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:66: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:81: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:90: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:111: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:132: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:141: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'person_attribute_pkey' for table 'person_attribute'
      psql:01_core.sql:141: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
      'person_attribute_personid_key' for table 'person_attribute'
      CREATE TABLE
      psql:01_core.sql:155: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:164: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'p_session_attribute_pkey' for table 'p_session_attribute'
      psql:01_core.sql:164: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
      'p_session_attribute_personid_key' for table 'p_session_attribute'
      CREATE TABLE
      psql:01_core.sql:173: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'nexus_attribute_pkey' for table 'nexus_attribute'
      psql:01_core.sql:173: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
      'nexus_attribute_nexusid_key' for table 'nexus_attribute'
      CREATE TABLE
      psql:01_core.sql:189: ERROR:  Type "datetime" does not exist
      psql:01_core.sql:198: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'tool_attribute_pkey' for table 'tool_attribute'
      psql:01_core.sql:198: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
      'tool_attribute_toolid_key' for table 'tool_attribute'
      CREATE TABLE
      psql:01_core.sql:207: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'content_attribute_pkey' for table 'content_attribute'
      psql:01_core.sql:207: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index
      'content_attribute_contentid_key' for table 'content_attribute'
      CREATE TABLE
      psql:01_core.sql:213: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'person_password_pkey' for table 'person_password'

• Ka Wang Yee

Ka Wang Yee - 2003-10-03

the above messages was after i did the

find ./ -name \*sql |xargs perl -pi -e 's/datetime/timestamp/g'

command.

thanks!

• Sam Ottenhoff

Sam Ottenhoff - 2003-10-06

Looks like the same errors as before.  Did you look at your new SQL files to see if "datetime" was replaced with "timestamp"? 

• Leonardo Hernandez

Please verify your read/write permissions on the files. I've imported postgres tables and they are working fine.

• Sam Ottenhoff

Sam Ottenhoff - 2003-10-13

one revision to my suggestion of doing a global replace on all occurrences of "datetime" with "timestamp".  There is a column called "datetime" in the table graded_item.  this column should still be called "datetime" with column type "timestamp".

sam

• Ian Boston

Ian Boston - 2003-10-28

I have updated all the build scripts in CVS to use timestamp with time zone instead of datetime. We have been using this with a production 2.1 system for some time now and it appears to be ok.

Ian