Help
Jin
2009-06-07
2013-04-30
  • Jin
    Jin
    2009-06-07

Hi all,

I'm using this software to remotely connect to my Ubuntu server, whose version is ubuntu 9.04. It connects well, but when i try to operate, the remote screen never refresh. --- I can't see what i am doing from my vnc client (chicken of vnc2.0b4, a mac version).

Anybody has a clue what's going on? Appreciate!

Jin

• Jin
      Jin
      2009-06-07

I'm waiting on line to seek a suggestion...

• Anolis
        Anolis
        2009-08-10

you would probably have better luck if you asked about ubuntu's vnc server in the ubuntu help forums :)

• Ward Clark
      Ward Clark
      2009-06-08

Chicken of the VNC was a great VNC Viewer, but the current release is more than 3 years old.

Last December, I discovered JollysFastVNC and haven't looked back: http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

I've used JollysFastVNC with servers on Mac OS X (Schnitz Remote Lite) and Windows (RealVNC). I've not had occasion to view a Ubuntu screen.

-- Ward

• Jin
        Jin
        2009-06-08

Hey Ward,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion and found it didn't refresh too. Since the "remote" machine is besides me, I could see when i move the mouse
        from my client machine that the mouse actually is moving on the "remote" machine, but I can't see anything via my client machine. Any clue on the reasons for this?

Thanks once again.

• Ward Clark
          Ward Clark
          2009-06-08

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Ubuntu.

What VNC Server software are you running on Ubuntu?  Are there alternatives?

Does your VNC viewer on Mac OS X work with a remote Mac or Windows system?

There are at least two alternatives each for Mac OS X and Windows XP.  Over time, I've switched VNC Servers on Mac OS X, and I experimented with a couple of servers on XP before settling on RealVNC.

-- ward

• Jin
            Jin
            2009-06-08

i tried to installed vnc4server on mu Ubuntu machine, and after that, I use chicken of vnc on my mac to connect to that machine, it still didn't refresh.

I found the log when i finish configure the vncserver, which I don't know what to do:

Couldn't open RGB_DB '/etc/X11/rgb'

Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.1
            Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
            See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
            Underlying X server release 70000000, The X.Org Foundation

Mon Jun  8 12:33:54 2009
            vncext:      VNC extension running!
            vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
            vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
            error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
            Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
            Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF, removing from list!
            Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/, removing from list!
            xsetroot:  unknown color "grey"
            /home/jinchen/.vnc/xstartup: 14: twm: not found
            Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".
            Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":1.0".

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Jin
      Jin
      2009-06-08

BTW, my client machine is a OSX 10.5.

• Alan Zimmerman
      Alan Zimmerman
      2009-06-26

I turned off visual effects and it started working.

There seems to be a bug with nvidia drivers
      http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg1549290.html

• Cedric Tsui
    Cedric Tsui
    2010-03-06

I'm in the same book as auraelius. I had the server and client side by side. When I started the cotVNC session, the screen I could see of the ubuntu computer was perfect, but no changes were displayed, even though I could see menues opening and closing on the server's monitor.

I disabled visual effects in ubuntu, and the vnc video started syncing normally.