Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

development?

2008-08-21
2013-04-30
  • Hi,
    Do de develpment stop... no new release since 2006...?  Il the development continue... when will be the next release?

One of the most anoying bug I found is the size of the box for vnc connection.  At each opening it expand... expand... you have to reduce it often.

Also... can't find a way to set permenently the choice betwen full and just a window at opening... always ask for dialog...

• Kurt Werle
      Kurt Werle
      2008-08-21

With the screen sharing available in Leopard, I think there hasn't been a really compelling reason to do more development on Chicken.

• Jeff Birac
        Jeff Birac
        2008-08-22

The Screen Sharing app available in Leopard is hideous. Its screen updates are ridiculously slow even on Core2Duo machines on local networks. That's why apps like JollysFastVNC are being developed.

So far, CotVNC is the FASTEST vnc client I have. Some claim JollysFastVNC is great, but it drags on my machine.

The two things I beg for CotVNC is Screen Scaling and Mouse Cursor updates:
        1.) I hate resetting my display each time I enter/leave fullscreen. The remote desktop should (have option to) be scaled to fit into a window or the client's screen. Both Apple's Screen Sharing and JollysFastVNC have this feature.
        2.) The little dot mouse cursor is unacceptable; it should match the cursor on the remote machine (Screen Sharing and JollysFastVNC have this feature). This seems to be a problem only with connections to the remote machine's active desktop (the user currently logged in and sitting in front of the machine).  Connections to background desktops/displays (when remote machine has multiple users logged in) will show the remote mouse cursor (overlaid with the little dot).

Besides these two major issues, the only quibble I have with CotVNC is speed: I want to be able to watch a quicktime movie on the remote machine.

• Yes but... if i'm not mistaken, screen sharing doesn't support windows... so... to connect to a win vnc server...(ultrafast in my case) Cotvnc is needed.

I try jollysfastvnc.. its great but, for me unusefull since on a window connection it's use the us keyboard even if the server have a multilingual canadian keyboard..

So can someone tell if development is stop or not...

• Kurt Werle
            Kurt Werle
            2008-08-22

> Yes but... if i'm not mistaken, screen sharing doesn't support windows... so... to connect to a win vnc server...(ultrafast in my case) Cotvnc is needed.

Works for linux, so I'm sure it'll work for Windows:
            http://www.sanityinc.com/articles/mac-screen-sharing-with-linux

> So can someone tell if development is stop or not...

I'm a contributor (not in a long time), not the main developer.  But it looks to me like nobody has felt the need to do anything with CotVNC in a long time.

There are a few things to remember with any open source project:
            1.  The developers needs are probably the biggest motivator.
            2.  Anyone can contribute code (hello), and contributions usually generate new releases.
            3.  Money is also a motivator (to most).

It's a bit of a generalization that any project that has not shipped an update in 6 months is a dead one.  But there's the source!  Any open source project can be resurrected in short order with the right motivation.

• Mnemosyne
              Mnemosyne
              2008-08-22

> 2. Anyone can contribute code (hello), and contributions usually generate new releases.

There are quite a few patches for this project which are waiting to be approved/applied (including my hacky one for scaling the screen in the window ;). I suspect this project's just no longer active.

While you are absolutely right that anyone can contribute code, it can't really be expected that everyone should have the ability to apply patches or add features themselves.

Is it possible for dead projects to be opened to general contributions from people without approval from the project owner? I'm not too familiar with what happens when the original owners no longer have the time or impetus to support the project.

Or is it more common for someone to fork the project?

• Kurt Werle
                Kurt Werle
                2008-08-22

> Or is it more common for someone to fork the project?

I don't know what is more common, but with a brand as valuable as Chicken is, here's what I'd do:

Find someone who is willing to step up and manage the project (do releases, etc).

Make a heroic effort to contact the current maintainer.  If they are willing to pass on the project, do it.  If they are not contactable, talk to sourceforge about getting dual ownership - I hope they have a process for that.  If one/both of those fail, fork it.

• Dane Summers
      Dane Summers
      2008-10-13

So...has anyone who posted on this list made any progress toward contacting the developer?