Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

slow to operate

photosave
2005-06-24
2013-04-30
  • photosave
    photosave
    2005-06-24

When working with CotVNC, is it normal for windows to take several seconds (2-6) to open and close?  Dragging items, opening apps., etc. are all very slow.  If this is normal, I'll get used to it.  If it's not, I'd like to know how I can speed things up.

I have a static IP, port 5900 open and forwarded to the appropriate router IP, etc.  It's just slow.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

• Elly
      Elly
      2005-06-24

I made a new profile (from the Connection menu) + just changed color to 256 colors. You're then looking at the server in only 256 colors, but is a major speed up.

If I have to see full color, when temporarily switching back to the default profile, I notice the speed as you describe.

• photosave
        photosave
        2005-06-24

Wow! Thank you.  For me, it seems that 256 and Thousands run about the same.  Very much of a speed boost though.

Thank you!

• Jason Harris
          Jason Harris
          2005-06-24

VNC is a very "heavy" protocol, in both bandwidth and CPU utilization.  You can also play with your preferred encodings in your Chicken connection protocol.  They trade between CPU usage and bandwidth usage.

• photosave
            photosave
            2005-06-24

Is there somewhere that tells me what all those encodings do?  I have no idea what I need and don't need.

Thanks, again,
            Jeff