Run tab with admin privileges

Stephan
2010-02-11
2013-06-12
  • Stephan
    Stephan
    2010-02-11

Hi,

Is there a way to run individual tabs with elevated privileges? I'd like to have tabs without admin rights and tabs with admin rights (with a different background color) in the same Console2 window. I tried (on Win 7) starting cmd.exe with runas.exe or the hstart utility, but that only triggers an assert in Console2 - no matter whether I try to run a non-elevated shell from an elevated Console2 or the other way around.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

- Stephan

• Derell Licht
    Derell Licht
    2010-02-17

I would also be interested in this capability.  Right now, I run a separate, stand-alone tcc/le session when I need to run an admin console, but it would be nice if I could do this within C2.

However, I'd like to expand on the OP's comments about visually differentiating admin/non-admin consoles in this situation.  If they *cannot* be clearly differentiated (by tab color, icon, or some other means), then this feature should *not* be implemented (IMHO); it would be potentially disastrous to have an admin console floating around and not realize it.

• Stephan
    Stephan
    2010-02-17

You can set the background color under Settings -> Tabs -> Background, so that shouldn't be an issue.

• stinos
    stinos
    2010-02-19

funny I was just looking for the same and this was the first thread I ancountered..

also tried with runas, but when entering 'runas /savecred /noprofile /user:administrator cmd' as shell for a tab, Console simply launches a seperate cmd window, weird.

• Atomhrt
    Atomhrt
    2010-03-01

This was discussed a long time ago, and to my knowledge there is no way to do this on a per tab basis. Instead, I have a bat file that launches two copies of console.exe, with one running as a regular account and another running as a admin account.

• stinos
    stinos
    2010-03-02

ok that's a pitty; I guess the reason is launching with elevated permissions in C++ is done using shellexecute, whereas Console uses CreateProcess to spawn the tab's process ? (really just guessing here)