Anonymous
2012-04-24
2013-06-12

• Anonymous
    2012-04-24

Hi,

When I am in C: for example and:

>> cd folder/folder1/folder2 …

I do not get the correct next folder structure… It is only correct on first folder… after the slash console gets it wrong. It is a pain to navigate to a file or perform a command with a path other than the one you are standing in.

Is someone else experiencing this? I have no previous experience with console2.

I am on windows 7, using cygwin as well..

Thanks!

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-04-24

At first, I don't fully understand what do you mean by "correct next folder structure".
    But in any case, it's not Console's fault because Console just displays what the underlying shell displays.

What do you use as your shell? Is it default Console installation (in which case, it's cmd.exe, which uses \ as dir separator)?

• Ronald
    Ronald
    2012-04-24

Hi Akirill:

CMD.EXE is not the culprit here. The user is on Windows 7, and this CMD.EXE indeed *does* understand forward slashes in the CD command.

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-04-24

cd indeed understands / as dir separator. But cmd.exe does not do auto-completion (when pressing Tab button) correctly in this case. And it still isn't Console's fault.

• Ronald
    Ronald
    2012-04-24

> And it still isn't Console's fault.

Fully agree with this !  :-D

> cmd.exe does not do auto-completion (when pressing Tab button) correctly in this case.

I did not understood from the OP's message that he was trying to do tab completion, but indeed, this would be an explanation.

• Anonymous
    2012-04-26

Hi folks,

Thanks for answers.

You are correct, it is CMDs fault.

cd folder1\folder2\…

is correctly suggested.

However cd folder1/folder2/…

does not..

I do not belive this was the case in cmd on xp.

Is there a better shell to base on? I have heard of Powershell ? Is it installed by default on Win 7 ?
    How do I configure console2 with powershell instead?

Thanks for your help :)

• Ronald
    Ronald
    2012-04-26

> Is there a better shell to base on?

Since you mention that you are using cygwin - is there a reason why you don't simply use one of the shell which come with Cygwin? For example, I'm using bash in my Console window.  For configuration, I just put into the "Shell" field of the Console settings

cmd /c bash -i

• ShadowFlare
    ShadowFlare
    2012-04-26

For launching Cygwin in Console, I'd recommend just using the directory and command from cygwin.bat.  Assuming you installed to C:\cygwin, the command would be

C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -login -i

and the startup dir would be

C:\cygwin\bin

As for the other question - yes, Windows 7 does come with Powershell installed.  You could just copy the information from the Powershell shortcut, but I'll just paste it here since I already have the info open.  The command should work regardless of whether you run the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Console.  This command line will pick the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Powershell automatically depending on which version of Console you are running.

shell: %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
    startup dir: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%