Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Open set of consoles at a certain location

C Stark
2009-03-27
2013-06-12
  • C Stark
    C Stark
    2009-03-27

Is there currently any mechanism to save or preset locations to open when you start Console2?

I would like to be able to create separate tabs for locations and sue Console2 to organize my command prompts, and I have already set up a number of separate tabs to launch, but I only see options to set the shell and shell location, but not where it should begin at.

Is there any way to accomplish this currently?

• Kirill
      Kirill
      2009-03-28

Hi,

if you go to Console Settings -> Tabs, what you see in the Shell group are two fields: Shell and Startup dir.

So, when you configure a tab, you can specify which shell app you want to open (or leave blank to open %comspec%) and where you want its startup folder be (or leave blank to use whatever Windows finds appropriate).

For example, I have three tabs:
      - Name: Console2; Shell: empty; Startup dir: %HOME%
      - Name: VS2005; Shell: cmd.exe /k vcvarsall.bat x86; Startup dir: c:\vs8
      - Name: Console Debug; Shell: empty; Startup dir: c:\

So, when I open each of them (or all together by running

console -t Console2 -t VS2005 -t "Console Debug"

), I get a prompt in the respective location.

Now remember that if you specify a shell, other than cmd.exe, it can change the current directory. For example, if I configure a tab as: Name: confusing; Shell: cmd.exe /k cd /d c:\download; Startup dir: c:\; it will start in c:\, but immediately switch to c:\download.

Hope it helps a bit.

--
      Kirill.

• C Stark
      C Stark
      2009-03-29

So it will work if I specify a shell to use?  I did try the startup directory, but I did not tell it which shell to use.  I will try that!