Better Keyboard/Mouse Customisations

2009-12-23
2013-06-12
  • Tom Wardrop
    Tom Wardrop
    2009-12-23

I'm trying to find a windows command prompt that behaves more like a text editor than a console. Console2 seems to meet most of my requirements, but I find it lacks appropriate mouse and keyboard customisations. For example, I have my left-click button bound to both "Select test" and "Copy/clear selection". This works perfectly, except for the fact that every time I deselect test by clicking, it copies the text that was selected. This made me look in the Console.xml for a work-around. In the process, I found the hotkey command "Clear selection" which by default is bound to CTRL + Delete. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's possible to bind a "command" (ie. hotkey command) to a mouse action.

Discovery this lead me to the conclusion that Console 2 needs better mouse and keyboard customisability, even if that extra flexibility is provided only via the Console.xml file.

• If you click outside of the selected area, Console will clear the selection without copying it.

Cheers,
    Marko

• Tom Wardrop
    Tom Wardrop
    2009-12-23

Well there you go. However, I still think more flexible keyboard and mouse customizations would be a welcome addition.

• Hi,

What kind of flexibility did you have in mind? It is not possible to map all keyboard commands to mouse commands and vice-versa.

Cheers,<br>
    Marko

• Tom Wardrop
    Tom Wardrop
    2010-01-01

Could you give me some example commands which can't map on both keyboard and mouse?

• Tom,

Sorry, I didn't mean <i>not possible</i> as much as <i>doesn't make a lot of sense</i> :-)

For example, closing a tab: lately, the standard seems to be that middle-click should close the tab. I don't see a lot of reasons to have that customizable. A customizable hotkey, on the other hand, is needed (CTRL+W is 'standard', but it can interfere with some applications - as much as CTRL+C for copy)

There is also a problem with text selection. When you start selecting with a mouse, current pointer position is taken as a starting point. With keyboard, we'd have to introduce a command for setting the selection starting point before starting to select text.

One posible solution is to have a single hotkey/mouse command customization form with keyborad/mouse parts disabled for commands that can't be used with a keyboard or a mouse…

Cheers,<br>
    Marko

• Tom Wardrop
    Tom Wardrop
    2010-01-02

I've been thinking more with the configuration XML file in mind, rather than the user interface. In the configuration, there should be a single XML node for "actions". Under which, one can define a command -> trigger mapping. For example…

<action command="copy" trigger="MOUSE_RIGHT" />
    <action command="copy" trigger="CTRL+C" />

That's just an example demonstrating how a single command can be mapped to multiple triggers (Mouse or keyboard). I agree that the middle-click example you mentioned doesn't need to be customizable, but for the sake of consistency and flexibility, it may as well be. Sure, there will be configuration possibilities which won't make much sense, such as mapping cursor-position sensitive functions to keyboard keys, but who knows what uses one may find for such flexibility.

• Tom Wardrop
    Tom Wardrop
    2010-01-02

Ah damn, my example XML was stripped in my previous post. I'll try again…

`<action command="copy" trigger="MOISE_RIGHT" />
    <action command="copy" trigger="CTRL+C" />`