Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Using cmd.exe as an alias for console.exe

2012-10-20
2013-06-12
  • I am currently using an autoit script that seems to associate cmd and bat scripts with console.exe

However, by force of habbit, I type cmd.exe in my address bar on the Taskbar or under Start/Run…

I am hoping for some kind of clever way to ONLY show my cmd.exe through the console.exe front end no matter what. 

I know it can't be easy since Windows wants to directly execute cmd.exe.  Maybe there's a way to renaming cmd.exe; renaming console.exe to cmd.exe, and having console call the newly renamed cmd.exe?

Im guessing Im not the first person to consider something like this.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-10-21

Michael,

bad things happen if you make a mistake while trying to set that up.
    In general, you want to set your COMSPEC to the renamed cmd.exe, then you can change Console's settings to use the new COMSPEC or the renamed cmd directly, then you can rename Console.

However, some apps ignore COMSPEC and just go for %windir%\system32\cmd.exe. So, the safest way is to rename Console.exe to c.exe, make sure that it's in the PATH, and start typing "c" into Run dialog.

• Kirill

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-10-21

Forgot to mention that on Windows 7, if you pin Console to the taskbar, you can use Win+# (where # is the position of Console, starting from the Start button, e.g. 1) to run Console .

• Kirill