Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Open Command Prompt Here

pdam87
2008-04-21
2013-06-12
  • pdam87
    pdam87
    2008-04-21

Hi,

I asked for a feature that already existed, for having Open Command Prompt Here context menu i would have to do install of the inf file, but i downloaded the console-devel 2.0 instead of the releases 1.5 and devel 2.0 doesnt have the inf file, and devel 2.0 looks much better than the 1.5 release so my question is:

can i use the inf file in the 2.0 version? i have tried with no success, is it possible? what kind of modification would i have to do?

tks!

• Daniel Lewis
      Daniel Lewis
      2008-07-03

The console.inf file for version 1.5 seems to work with version 2.0 for me.

First uninstall the old "Console here" (it's called "Console Here Extension" in the add remove programs). Then copy the console.inf file to the directory containing the console 2 executable and install as normal.

• jason404
      jason404
      2008-07-14

I have taken the console.inf file from the 1.5 release, added it to my Console2 folder (latest beta) and 'installed' it.  The 'Console Here' context menu item appears, but it does not do anything.

How can I make it work, or remove it, so that I can add the standard 'Open Command Prompt Here'?

• Ian Sebryk
      Ian Sebryk
      2008-07-19

interesting that this should pop up now.  i've been tweaking a new system and have been adding some context menu items for it.  i simply set up a regkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CommandPrompt which has a default value of 'Open Console2 Here'.  this is what i'll see in the context menu when i right-click on a folder.  i created a subkey inside it called 'Command' which contains a string 'D:\<console_location>\Console.exe' '-d %1'.  the idea was to pass the selection as a directory paramter to Console... but it doesn't want to parse the damn thing.  :(  it just opens the window, which is 80% of the way there.  i didn't know if the manually set default directory was overriding the %1 parameter or if i didn't understand the documentation properly.  i tried to pass a /k '%1' but got lost trying to nest the blasted quotes.  :P  i know i'm close, maybe someone can polish off that missing bit.  :)

WR!
      ---------
      my brain = party + hitman

• Ian Sebryk
      Ian Sebryk
      2008-07-19

*EDIT*  the subkey is 'command' not 'Command'.  biiiig difference.  :)

WR!
      ---------
      my brain = party + hitman

• tony_b82
      tony_b82
      2008-08-05

hi,

i got this working by adding a key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell called "console" with value "Open Console here", then adding another key under that also called "console" with value "C:\Console2\Console.exe -d %L".

obviously you'll need to put in your install directory instead of mine :-)

cheers,
      tony

• Ian Sebryk
        Ian Sebryk
        2008-08-11

yeah, see, i tried that.  didn't work at all.  just brought up the 'Open With...' list.  :P

"D:\WARE\Console2\Console.exe -d %L"    <----  this no workey = Open With... dialog.

"D:\WARE\Console2\Console.exe -d %1"    <----  this no workey = Open With... dialog. 

"D:\WARE\Console2\Console.exe" "-d %L"  <----  this no workey = opena console2, but default path.

"D:\WARE\Console2\Console.exe" "-d %1"  <----  this no workey = opens console2, but default path.

so i don't know how you got yours to open console2 to the selected directory... cuz what you wrote ain't happenin'.  is there a setting in console2 itself that we need to be aware of?

WR!

• jason404
        jason404
        2008-08-16

I just cannot get it to work either.  Tony, can you please paste your reg key like I have done, so we can see how they differ?  I cannot understand why I get those weird double backslashes in the exported key, while the paths do not look like that in regedit.

Did you use the Console.inf file from the earlier release at all?  I am not sure how I supposed to undo whatever it did when I Installed it, and if that is the reason why this is not working for me.

I'd be really pleased if I can get this thing working.

• jason404
      jason404
      2008-08-05

Hi tony_b82

I tried what you said, but I must be doing something wrong.  Are they 'String Values'(REG_SZ)?  When I export the key, I get some weird double backslashes in the path.

--------------------------------------------------------
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\console]
      @="Open Console here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\console\console]
      @="\&quot;C:\\Program Files\\Console2\\Console.exe\&quot; -d %L"

--------------------------------------------------------

Can you type what you get when you export the key please?  I have the Console2 directory within Program Files, but otherwise, I should be typing what you have there.

•   Hi, I use this reg-file to open console in current folder from the shell menu "Console Here" and it's work:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Console Here]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\Console Here\Command]
      @="\&quot;C:\\Program Files\\Console\\Console.exe\&quot; \&quot;%1\&quot;"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Console Here]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Console Here\Command]
      @="\&quot;C:\\Program Files\\console\\console.exe\&quot; -d \&quot;%L\&quot;"

But I also want to add "Run in console" item in the shell menu to run .bat and .cmd files in Console.
      This reg file doesn't work:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\Run in Console]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\Run in Console\Command]
      @="\&quot;C:\\Program Files\\Console\\console.exe\&quot; \&quot;%1\&quot;"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\Run in Console]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cmdfile\shell\Run in Console\Command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\Run in Console]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\shell\Run in Console\Command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\cmdfile\shell\Run in Console]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\cmdfile\shell\Run in Console\Command]

Any idea how to solve this problem?

• elara
      elara
      2008-11-24

I have the same Problem. I tried the inf file from version 1.5 and every here suggested command. I think tried every variation I could think of, but the Console always opens in the default directory.
      I stopped adding a reg key and simply "run" the command, but to no effect. Has anyone a solution?
      I'm using the Windows cmd as shell, and the Console version 2b141.

• Joel Parker
      Joel Parker
      2009-03-11

This worked for me:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\console]
      @="Open Console Here"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\console\command]
      @="C:\\Program Files\\Console2\\console.exe -d \&quot;%L\&quot;"