How to open console with many shell and tab?

2010-01-22
2013-06-12
  • Stefano Lenzi
    Stefano Lenzi
    2010-01-22

Hi All,

I'd like to thank you for the great software that was missing on win32, before Console I was using putty and ssh on my localhost.

I was wondering if there is a configuration or option that allows to start Console with several tabs open and in case if I can  pass some arguments to each shell that is contained by the specified tabs. Moreover, I was wondering if I can have a suite of shell within the same Console so that from the new toolbar button I can select the shell to open in the next tabs.

Ciao,
    Stefano

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2010-01-22

Hi Stefano,

You can open multiple tabs on Console's startup by using multiple -t arguments. For example, I have two tabs, defined in Settings: "Console2" and "GIT", so I can start Console and have those tabs open by

console -t Console2 -t GIT

NOTE: tab names are case-sensitive (and there is a small bug in the current version that causes Console to die silently if a tab was not found).

You can also specify additional arguments to the shell, specified for the tab, using -r argument. For example, if in the example above, I want to execute "dir" as soon as Console2 tab opens, I can run:

console -t Console2 -r "/k dir" -t GIT

You can use -r multiple times:

console -t Console2 -r "/k dir" -t GIT -t Console2 -r "/k cd \download"

NOTE: although the Help says that -r "specifies a startup shell command", it actually specifies a startup shell command-line arguments. And in Console's run line they should be quoted (see above example).

As far as opening multiple tabs from within running console, If I understood your second wish correctly, this is currently not possible. However, remember that the first 10 tabs can be opened using a hotkey.

Hope it helps a bit.

Kirill.