Menu

Green background won't change (xp 64)

2009-03-30
2013-06-12
  • Jason Apple

Jason Apple - 2009-03-30

I have read all the other posts on 64 bit builds and the clear type issues, plus the alpha blending.  None of those seem to apply to my problem.

My background always remains a shade of green.  When I drag the window, I can see the black background border and then it quickly repaints to green.

Again, I've tried the items in fixes previously mentioned, and I am using the default console.xml file, out of the box, although I have turned off clear type.

I love this utility and it is undoubtedly an awesome tool.  I am running xp 64 bit with 2 monitors, plus ultra-mon.  I've tried turning off monitor #2 and ultramon even 16-bit colors, again, with no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for this tool!

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2009-03-30

Hm. It might be an obvious question, but have you checked the Tint color in your tab background settings? (Edit->Settings->Tabs->Background->Tint color)

Cheers,
      Marko

• Jason Apple

Jason Apple - 2009-03-30

Yes, it's set to black.  Basically, picture the utility after being downloaded with its standard defaults in console.xml, that is what I have.

It seems to want to default to a shade of green and it can not be changed.  If you try to change the solid back ground color, you can see that new color in a few pixels as sort of a border inside of the window.

I've tried copies of console.xml to play with all sorts of settings, none worked, so I went back to the defaults.

I'm on the latest build, and I tried 2 or 3 previous versions, including the 64bit build which doesn't run any different.  I am cool with the green but would be great to be able to change it.  Interestingly enough, fonts and font colors are no problem at all.

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2009-03-30

Hm, that is strange.

Can you check your C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data dir for Console subdir?

Can you try connecting to your computer with remote desktop and see what it looks like then?

Cheers,
      Marko

• Jason Apple

Jason Apple - 2009-03-30

Well, the problem was I had saved Defaults for cmd.exe, with a nice shade of green, and white font.  Therefore, that background became my background no matter what I set in Console2. 

Therefore, one should of course remove all customized default settings in the windows supplied cmd.exe. 

I came to this conclusion based on your questions to me and then reviewing some of the source code which had text descriptions about these registry settings for Console, found in HKCU\Console.  In particular, the string value of ScreenColors.  It had a value of 2f.

Problem is solved, and I thank you for your time.