Cannot run Console2 on WS2K8 amd64

Mr. P
2009-02-04
2013-06-12
  • Mr. P
    Mr. P
    2009-02-04

I used Console2 heavily back when I used Vista - love it.

However on this WS2K8 64-bit machine I'm having all sorts of problems getting it running. I'm using b142.

I tried it ages ago and got the black-on-black bug. Tried all sorts to fix it but with no luck. Eventually messed about so much it would no longer launch.

Tried again today with a new install and a default console.xml. Now it either crashes immediately with no error (just a brief flash of a window) or it pauses for a while then says "Failed to open Console2 tab! The process could still be running (use the Task Manager to find it and end it).

Reading up on this I see this problem could be to do with invalid default shells, etc. The problem is I've tried with both a default and a blank console.xml (just <settings></settings>) and it somehow fills in what I can only assume are my old, bad settings:

<settings>
        <console change_refresh="100" refresh="300" rows="25" columns="80" buffer_rows="500" buffer_columns="0" shell="C:\Windows\System32\cmdl32.exe" init_dir="F:\sd" save_size="1" start_hidden="0">

Now "F:\sd" is indeed a directory I would have configured it for - but I can't figure out where it has found that, or the path to cmdl32.exe.

My tabs are:
        <tabs>
            <tab title="Console2">
                <console shell="" init_dir=""/>
                <cursor style="0" r="255" g="255" b="255"/>
                <background type="2" r="0" g="0" b="0">
                    <image file="" relative="0" extend="0" position="0">
                        <tint opacity="34" r="0" g="0" b="0"/>
                    </image>
                </background>
            </tab>
        </tabs>

What on earth is stopping it running?

Where are the old settings coming from?

• jason404
      jason404
      2009-03-01

I did not even know that Console worked on Vista.

I am now using Win2008 x64 as well.   Did you get Console working with it in the end?

Cheers

• Mr. P
        Mr. P
        2009-03-09

Nope. It still quits the second it starts.

I'm still convinced there's some hidden config somewhere causing it but can't find it. Try it yourself as it may work fine.

• Try Ronald Blaschke's build. I have not yet tried it on a vista and/or x64 machine. I'm happily remaining on XP till windows 7:). The x64 project is found here:

http://www.rblasch.org/projects/console/

• Mr. P
        Mr. P
        2009-03-15

Thanks. Tried that with the same results.

Still looks like it's picking up some old dodgy config from somewhere, but I've no idea where. Anyone know how to clear it all out?  Searching the registry didn't turn up much either.

• Just a thought: Have a look at "C:\Users\&lt;your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\&lt;wherever you installed Console>", if there is such a thing on WS2K8.  Folder virtualization can be a pain ... you know where.

• Mr. P
            Mr. P
            2009-03-16

Good thought, but I got that one already.

Anyone got a debug build available so I can narrow this one down? Getting the deps setup for my own build isn't going to be easy here...

• Mr. P
                Mr. P
                2009-03-17

Thanks!

Strangely enough this build works fine for me. Every other build I've tried exits immediately - including the 64-bit ones.

Oh well... Back to the real work. Thanks rblasch.

• That's very strange.  Could you try to run the failing x64 executable with the Debugging Tools for Windows ("windbg console.exe") ?  The error message might be helpful.

• Mr. P
                    Mr. P
                    2009-03-18

I previously ran a few versions through the Visual Studio debugger with no clues at all - only clean exits straight after starting it.

After experimenting with all the old versions I accumulated I now see that they ALL work. Seems all the messing I did with residual config files finally payed off. Still don't know what triggered the problem or why it suddently works now. Perhaps a reboot after one of the changes... who knows.

Oh well, it works now. Thanks for the help.

• jason404
        jason404
        2009-03-17

That x64 build seems to be working well for me on Win2008 x64.  Cheers mortar for the link, and rblasch for the build.

• I don't have any experience with amd64, but  Visual Studio ships a separate version of amd64 CRT DLLs.

Can anyone with amd64 try building Console with amd64 as a target?