Usability...

Pavel P
2010-07-12
2013-06-12
  • Pavel P
    Pavel P
    2010-07-12

Hello all,
    I've been in a search of a good console app and after reading "Best terminal environment for Cygwin/Windows?" on stackoverflow : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/701895/best-terminal-environment-for-cygwin-windows I decided to try Console. I tried Console long time ago, but didn't use it since then.
    Tabbed console is some tool that would be used by professionals who often have tens of consoles open simultaneously. That's the reason I needed a tabbed native windows app. People who type a lot really need absolutely flawless experience with this kind of application, if gets stuck in the middle or behaves unnatural it's difficult to use it. In my experience, console apps on linux are pretty good in that sense, but on windows there is only one that I have pleasure working with: putty!! I tried console, it just behaves in a weird way quite often. Since recently, cygwin has mintty and cygtty, which reuse console code to be able to have putty feel with regular cygwin and I just love it. The only thing they are all missing is something that console has: tabbed interface and ability to rename tabs.

Maybe it's too much to ask, but how about console 3 :)  that reuses putty console code and makes it into tabbed app?..  Cygtty could be reused by the way, making console 3 into best overall console app which can be used with any cygwin or msys shell, cmd.exe or any other shell over ssh?.. I actually thought to take console and putty code and do that job, but putty code is pure c and I'm not sure if I had enough free time to make it play well with c++/wtl.

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-07-14

Hello,

Why not simply use a console ssh  application with the console 2 wrapper ?
    Putty is a graphical application : you dont need an evolution of the console wrapper but of Putty.

• Pavel P
    Pavel P
    2010-07-14

I don't get your point at all. Putty handles ssh and at the same time provides console gui and handles interaction with the user (text selection with mouse, scrolling etc). It's works simply perfectly. mintty is the project that turns putty into local console app and the only thing it misses is the tabbed interface. If console2 could reuse putty window as the actual console window that interacts with the user then it would be perfect in my opinion.

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-07-15

This project is a Windows console application wrapper :
      - the Windows console application is hidden
      - a hook give access to the console buffer (read/write/selection of text)
    Putty is not a Windows console application but a graphical application.

So you want an evolution of putty program or a merge between putty and this project …

• Pavel P
    Pavel P
    2010-07-21

I don't know how it works internally, but console is just as bad as it used to be when I tried it more than a year ago. I tried to use it with cygwin/bash but it's freacking full of annoying bugs. The last one that made me delete it forever is quite simple… I tried to rebuild my project. To do so, I have to scroll up in history list (the UP arrow key), but suddenly console started to scroll windows instead… As I got quite used to console's fuckups, I decided to restart it…  but I still had that same annoying problem. Then I remombered that it has tha tretarded menu->view->stop scrolling. I tried that and it did not have any effect. This is ridiculous pile of junk.I regret wasting time getting used to it… I hope that it's not so bad for those who use it with cmd.exe only…

• Anonymous
    2011-07-14

Yes, with cmd it's not that bad. If your head doesn't explode from the missing cursor possitioning when typing (editing to be more exact) commnads, it's fine. In fact you can place the cursor to the beginning or end of your command string, but that's often not enough.

• Ondrej Havel
    Ondrej Havel
    2011-08-27

You can use the ssh application from Cygwin which is compiled for Windows. Install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). Copy ssh.exe, cygz.dll, cygwin1.dll, cygssp-0.dll, cyggcc_s-1.dll, cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll from Cygwin directory to new "ssh" directory which you have to create in windows root drive (for example "c:\ssh"). Add PATH to the new directory in paths. Thenk you can call classic ssh from cmd.exe or concole2 (for example "ssh root@192.168.1.1"). Enjoy ssh in Windows :)

• Steve Schmitt
    Steve Schmitt
    2012-10-10

As reported above, my Console.exe up arrow key stopped showing my history and started scrolling.  I was able to fix it by going to settings; Hotkeys; and unchecking the "Use Scroll Lock scrolling" box, then restarting Console.