Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Build Console (VS2010 + 7 64-bit)

François
2012-02-01
2013-06-12
  • François
    François
    2012-02-01

Hi everyone,

I am a french student (Sorry if there are any english mistakes : P) in training in England and I need to get Console compiled. But I have tried again and again and didn't succeed.

How do I build and debug Console? I have Visual Studio 2010 and Windows 7 64-bit. Are there precise instructions somewhere?

I tried to follow that : https://sourceforge.net/projects/console/forums/forum/1072579/topic/3950897

But I thought Boost didn't need to be build before I can use it on VS, I just need to add boost to the include directories in VS.

And when I build, it failed telling me that "copy ..\bin\Win32\debug\ConsoleHook.dll ..\bin\x64\ConsoleHook32.dll" stops with code 1.

Thank You !

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-02-07

François, je parle français un tout petit peu avec beaucoup d'erreurs :)

Indeed, you don't need to build the boost, you just need to have it in your include directories. If you unzipped boost to c:\path\to\boost_1_46_1, just add this path to include directories.

You do need to add  _HAS_CPP0X=0 to your Preprocessor Definitions to not confuse C++0x libraries with boost.

Then you build 32-bit version, then you build 64-bit version. This actually will solve your copy error.

You then will need to copy FreeImage*.dll from setup\dlls next to your resulting console.exe. You will also need to copy console.xml into the same folder.

La prochaine fois que je suis à Paris, vous allez m'acheter un verre ;)

• François
    François
    2012-02-08

Thank you for your answer ! : )

But I still have a problem. I build 32-bit version, then 64-bit version but  I have this error message:

It means that it can run ConsoleHook.dll. I'm not very good with .dll files, what should I do?

Bye !

• François
    François
    2012-02-08

Sorry for the double-post, I didn't find any edit button.

I check the directories, but there isn't any file "Console.exe" which has been created… I put the *.dll files and console.xml file in both bin/x64/debug/ and bin/win32/debug directories.

I'm not really good, I know. : (

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-02-08

For "Cannot run ConsoleHook", you probably need to right-click Console project in VS and select Set as startup project.

For the absent Console.exe, did you use the menu Build > Build solution?

• François
    François
    2012-02-08

"Console" wasn't my startup project, it was "ConsoleHook". So I changed that.

Now, when I build the solution, I have this strange error :

1>Console.rc(10): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'atlres.h'.

'atlres.h' is a file in wtl directory. I have included wtl like i did with boost. Is it the good way to do that?

Thank you very much for you time !

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-02-08

Let's assume that the full path to atlres.h is c:\prjs\wtl\wtl\include\atlres.h (note that there is "wtl" inside "wtl"). You would need to add "c:\prjs\wtl\wtl\include" (sans quotes) to your Additional Include Directories.

• François
    François
    2012-02-08

Hm very strange, I had already done that but my path was "C:\Console\wtl\include". I just changed the path to "C:\Console\wtl\wtl\include", unzip wtl in the new folder and it works… Don't understand why, but IT WORKS!! : D

Thank you very much for your help, you are awesome ! It was not easy to build Console ! : p

• François
    François
    2012-02-09

Hm I'm back !

I thought that both 32-bit and 64-bit build were working but i have just noticed now that the 64-bit Console.exe doesn't work.

Visual Studio gives me that:

'Console.exe' : Chargé 'C:\Console\bin\x64\Debug\Console.exe', Les symboles ont été chargés.
    'Console.exe' : Chargé 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Console.exe' : Chargé 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Console.exe' : Chargé 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Console.exe' : Chargé 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk64.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    Le programme ' Console.exe: Natif' s'est arrêté avec le code -1073741701 (0xc000007b).

It means that the application can't start correctly.

Have an idea?