Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Limited width on dual monitor setup

Eric_H
2012-01-21
2013-06-12
  • Eric_H
    Eric_H
    2012-01-21

I noticed something on my two monitor setup: I cannot make Console any wider than the number of characters that would fit on the monitor that I have vertically aligned (so 1024px wide) even though I am running Console on the horizontal monitor (1280px wide.) Not sure if this behavior is being driven by the underlying CMD command (though Cygwin does the same.)

I would preferably like to run a little wider (ideally full screen, but I know there are some issues there related to tabs.) Any suggestions welcome. Great program by the way.

Thanks!

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2012-01-21

There are two things that cause that:
    1. cmd would not allow to make the console window wider than the main monitor
    2. official Console adheres to the same rule

Solution to 1 is from Console to View > Console Window, from the opened window's system menu, Properties > Font and choose a TrueType font of a very small size (5pt works too). WARNING: don't go too wide - couple times Console crashed when pushed to 3000px range.

The only solution to 2, I'm aware of is my unofficial build from http://kirill.ca

• Eric_H
    Eric_H
    2012-01-22

Thanks Kirill. I installed what appears to be you latest build, 148.2. I still get limited by the width, but it appears I can get a little wider than before, wider than the width of the vertically aligned monitor. I'll take the extra space.

• delias
    delias
    2012-02-29

I've run into this problem, and it's a limitation of CMD.EXE. The max width can only be as large as the resolution of the monitor on which the application is launched (your primary #1 monitor in display settings). So the easy way to fix it is to change the order of your primary monitor.

• Alex
    Alex
    2012-03-08

We're not talking about the CMD limitation. Console has currently another limitation on dual-head setups.

First review this article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162729(v=vs.85).aspx

In ConsoleView.cpp:GetMaxRect(), we should replace this:
    desktopWindow.GetWindowRect(rectDesktop);
    For something based on this:
    GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXMAXTRACK);