Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

vista glass look

chrisz
2010-07-03
2013-06-12
  • chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-07-03

Hi,
    I have modified the version 1.46 :
    - add vista glass look
    - fix tooltip
    - fix background picture badly drawed at startup
    If you are interested by modifications, tell me how and where I can upload sources.

Christophe Bucher

• ZliS
    ZliS
    2010-07-07

It would be great if you'll add new win7 superbar functions (like multiple previews foe each tab, closing tab from thumbnail and indication of a bell with the taskbar coloring)

And if developers are asleep, you may crreate a fork of the project.

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-08-11

I prefer join a project rather than create a fork …
    You can see the result :

• ZliS
    ZliS
    2010-08-11

is it in compiled version already?

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-08-13

Yes, on my computer
    this is not a fake picture …

• cbucher,

There is a public repo on github that you can fork. After you commit your changes, you can send me a pull request, I can review your changes and merge them (or cherry-pick them)

Cheers,

Marko

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-08-13

Here is the link to my fork : http://github.com/cbucher/console
    I added a new target Win32 Release areo (binaries need VISTA or more)
    I added WTL with some modifications

Cheers

• Hi,

I have looked over your code and I'm afraid I can't merge it into the main Console repository. I have several problems with it:

Aero glass support is implemented as a separate build. I'd like to have only two Console builds: 32 and 64-bit.

'Total glass' look doesn't really work for me. Besides, it's not total: status bar and scroll bar are not 'glass'. I'd prefer if users could customize the amount of glass on the application window :-)

Commits include changes not related to the glass support. These changes should have been committed separately. That would allow me to cherry-pick them.

It seems that you made errors when merging from the the main Console repo and deleted some of the changes I have made (e.g. flat scrollbars option) Also, you removed wtl submodule and added WTL files directly to Console repo. Kirill and I have had a discussion over handling WTL and it was decided that it's best to keep it as a submodule.

However, it seems that you have implemented a proper icon transparency for tab menu icons. I will add that to the code…

I would like to stress that I'm not against adding Aero glass support to Console, quite the contrary. However, I would like to have it handled as on option (both from the user and code points of view) - I don't want a separate build. I would also like to examine design recommendations for glass look and see if we can give users control over which parts of Console are to be 'glassed'

Cheers,

Marko

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-08-20

Hi,

I have modified for fun, and my own usage, this project.
    When it was done I have think that it could be a contribution.
    I have never pretended that my modifications would be usable as it.
    I let you merge and adapt how you want.

Also, you removed wtl submodule and added WTL files directly to Console repo. Kirill and I have had a discussion over handling WTL and it was decided that it's best to keep it as a submodule.

It was my first usage of GIT. I just chose a simple way to push modifications without fork WTL submodule too.

It seems that you made errors when merging from the the main Console repo and deleted some of the changes I have made (e.g. flat scrollbars option)

sorry for the one line in rc file …

Commits include changes not related to the glass support. These changes should have been committed separately. That would allow me to cherry-pick them.

Yes, it was some corrections like :
    - mouse tracking and tooltips bugs in tabbed framework (I've lost some hours with Spy++)
    - full repaint with false at start of application while comment say the opposite …
      m_bNeedFullRepaint(false) // first OnPaint will do a full repaint
      in this case, background picture is not complete until full repaint
    - proper icon transparency for tab menu icons
    and some personal needs :
    - count of characters selected
    - number in the tab to switch with hotkeys easier
    - select the console with mouse middle button

I think you can easily extract corrections.

'Total glass' look doesn't really work for me. Besides, it's not total: status bar and scroll bar are not 'glass'. I'd prefer if users could customize the amount of glass on the application window :-)

Glass effect is on margins, you can expand margins into application area.
    But seriously, text on glass is for fun, it's difficult to read and to work with an entire tansparent blur effect console.
    More, you must compose console into bitmap with alpha channel (GDI+) so rewrite completely the project …

Cheers,

Christophe Bucher

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2010-09-17

Hi,

I have continued to add some functionalities and fixes in my fork : http://github.com/cbucher/console .

Cheers,
    Christophe Bucher

• Anonymous
    2011-06-29

Hey, if you haven't done the merge yet for the Aero being handled in a separet build, I think that is simple to solve -
    It should suffice the LoadLibrary(Ex) for Dwmapi.dll and only if found (HRESULT non NULL) then do this another check DwmIsCompositionEnabled and only then apply the Aero-background.

Hope it helps. Btw, is the project ok, or is it dead?

• Kirill
    Kirill
    2011-06-30

The project is not exactly dead, but one may say "it's on a life support" :) Neither Marko nor I have enough time right now to actively develop it.

I haven't merged Christophe's aero implementation yet for four reasons:
    1. It's not visually appealing to me personally

2. I'm not quite sure whether or not I can use AERO build on XP. And your idea to use LoadLibrary() to verify its availability may or may not work because of general structure #ifdef _USE_AERO /* declare var of one type */ #else /* declare var of another type */ #endif. What guarantees that aero::CCommandBarCtrl will work correctly on XP?

3. There is a LOT of manual drawing code, which I personally tend to avoid due to inherent complexities in drawing controls.

4. As Marko noticed: the commit includes a lot more than just Aero support, and I'm not prepared to split it up right now.

And even Christophe said: "But seriously, text on glass is for fun, it's difficult to read and to work with an entire tansparent blur effect console." Thus, spending the tiny bit of available time on "just for fun" is not in my plans.

However, some of Christophe's changes may actually fix quite few bugs/annoyances. When I get few extra hours, I might pick them up.

• Aye Wong
    Aye Wong
    2011-11-19

Great. This is what I wanted to try. Though I can understand there should be some works before this modification gets into the main branch, is there any way to try the forked version ? I couldn't find any builds on the github. Or should I move there to discuss this issue ?

• Aye Wong
    Aye Wong
    2011-11-25

Awesome ! Thank you !
    I would like to get this into my daily use. But this build seems not to be able to restore settings. How could it do that ?

• chrisz
    chrisz
    2011-11-26

Settings are located in a xml file : you can backup and restore this file by your own way.
    To restore original settings, replace your xml file by the file in the archive.

• Aye Wong
    Aye Wong
    2011-11-26

Thank you for your feedback. Yes. It worked as you said. I might have been wrong in operation. I am looking forward to this feature getting into the main branch.

• Werner BEROUX
    Werner BEROUX
    2012-07-11

Very nice. I don't know why you don't enable issues in your Git repos. It's a nice fork.

Sadly I have an issue with the command-line parameters which seem to be broken.

• Eric_H
    Eric_H
    2013-02-17

Hi Christophe,

I am using your ConsoleZ at this point because it fits well with Windows 7 (by the way, thanks to all who have worked on any Console versions as it is a great program). Not sure if you are still reading this thread, but with a dual monitor setup (still an issue with 1.5.0) and I have ConsoleZ maximized, anytime I create a second tab or delete the second to last tab (with "Hide single tab" set, so when going from "tabless" to tabs and vice versa) it "un-maximizes" ConsoleZ in that it loses shape to the monitor it was maximized to even through the window button in the upper-right still shows as would if maximized (the middle button between _ and x). I have to either "Snap" again to the top or click the middle button twice to get back to true maximize again.

I don't have a Github account, but could create one and share this info there, but wanted to just post about it here. Otherwise very happy to be able to use the Snap feature in Windows 7 and also just to be able to maximize and just discovered being able to add the hotkeys to allow vertical and horizontal spitting of tabs. Good stuff!

Thanks,
    Eric