Compiere on Oracle XE

2006-03-06
2013-05-02
  • Hi dear Compiere fans,

I would like to make an announcement.
    Anyone who is willing to support me with 175 EURO can have Compiere running on Oracle XE.

What you get if you been so kind to support me:
    1) Oracle XE dump for Compiere 253b
    2) Oracle XE can be installed on any size host machine with any number of CPUs, but this free version of the world's leading database will store up to 4GB of user data, use up to 1GB of memory, and use one CPU on the host machine.

Optionally if you need support my hour rate is 20 EURO/hour for administration and installation. I can connect to your your instance and perform installation.

What you need to do:
    1) Download production version of Oracle XE
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html?rssid=rss_otn_news
    2) Install it using AL32UTF8 character set.

Regards,
    Trifon
    ----------
    Compiere freelancer
    compilo.sf.net developer

• PAscal
      PAscal
      2006-03-06

I'm very sorry but Oracle XE doesn't include SQLJ
      That means that Compiere parts that are based on Java Procedures in the database will not work ...

A perfect alternativ to Oracle XE (supporting SQLJ) could be the Firebird Oracle-mode port.

Lets check at: http://www.janus-software.com/compiere_dl.html for 251g version or http://www.jotel.com.pl for 253a version

Regards
      PAscal

• Hi Pascal,

> That means that Compiere parts that are based on Java Procedures in the database will not work ...

This is true but this doesn't mean that there is another way to run Compiere... I mean without SQLJ...
        I know about Firebird, but it is paid and at the moment do not work....

Regards,
        Trifon

• PAscal
      PAscal
      2006-03-06

- Fyracle supports SQLJ,
      - Fyracle runtime version is free,
      - Compiere 251g/253a Fyracle databases are free,
      - Fyracle permits to run Compiere (with a few remaining bugs) as any Beta can do

Fyracle is the Firebird Oracle-mode

Cheers
      PAscal

• Dear Mr. PAscal,

I really believe that there is a place for both Compiere on Fyracle and Compiere on Oracle XE. In fact there are ppl who are trying to run Compiere on DB2, on Postgres and MSSQL server. I believe that all solutions are good when there are users who needs them.

So i wish all of them success.

Best regards,
        Trifon Trifonov

• I Trifon,
      what you propose is an experimental or production installation ?

Please give me further informations
      Regards
      Nino

• Hi Nino,

with new version of Oracle XE, which is considered production i think that Compiere and Oracle XE can be used in production environment.

I can offer assistance with installation and integration with Jasper Reports as alternative for creating PDF files. Also JasperReport offer well looking documents and export to many formats.

Regards,
        Trifon

• Will ComPiere try to migrate to XE?

• I do not belive so.

Compiere on Oracle Xe will not bring money to Compiere Inc. so i do  not believe that they will make the effort to support it...

Regards,
        Trifon

• Andrejs Veliks
      Andrejs Veliks
      2006-05-10

One question to Trifon - myCompiere send note that they have course for move to OracleXE. Is it your expierence or not?

• Marco LOMBARDO
        Marco LOMBARDO
        2006-05-10

Hi,
        to move to XE I think one needs to just re-tranform sqlj java store procedure from Java back to PL/SQL.

Regards,
        Mar

• Hi,

i know that myCompiere sell for 399 USD documents containing Oracle XE and Compiere usage, but it is not my experience there.

On my side i offer it as a gift... agains a book or 40 usd.

The price using Compiere and Oracle XE will be later... User must support developer to create migration procedure, which is paid service provided from Compiere Inc. at the moment...

And YES, Marco is right, but not entirely...

Regards,
        Trifon

• Andrejs Veliks
      Andrejs Veliks
      2006-05-10

>>Trifon :On my side i offer it as a gift... agains a book or 40 usd.

What book?

• Hi,

i have a wish list in amazon.com.

one book from the list and you can have Compiere on Oracle XE.

you can find my wish list by searching by email:
        triofnnt    yahoo.com

Regards,
        Trifon

• Vincent Harcq
      Vincent Harcq
      2006-05-11

You can also have it for free.
      Download one of the laster Compiere build where PL/SQL functions are present.
      Are reload them into your database.

... and buy the Compiere documentation from Compiere ;-)

History tells this:
      1. Compiere uses PL/SQL Function
      2. Compiere try to become an "any database" product and choosed to migrate PL/SQL to SQLJ to be more compatible between databases.
      3. Oracle releases XE not SQLJ compatible.

I am sure Compiere is thinking about point 4.
      SQLJ was not choosed to break XE compatibility.

Vincent

• the good think of OPEN SOURCE is that you are free to do whatever you want...

Especialy when you know wow to do it...

Regards,
        Trifon

• jetpharma
      jetpharma
      2006-05-11

I didn't understand whats really the difference between PL/SQL and SQLJ.  I'm quite new to Compiere, but i just installed Compiere with Oracle XE and its working without any extra effort, other than the installation steps on compiere website.

Am I missing sth, Trifon. can i check on my installation, what is not working.

Regards,
      Deep

• PL/SQL is language which Oracle Server understand and executes inside DB.

SQLj is a big mistake, becasue people try to use java language inside database Server, which makes functions slower....

First time i saw SQLj i thought why this people are doing such things????
        Everyone else is trying to pull out sql code out from sources and they make the oposite...

It would be good if Compiere Inc. start supporting  Oracle XE...

Regards,
        Trifon

• why dont you make the tips for Oracle XE for public, rather than said it is US$ 40, US$ 300, give back to the community.

That will be a cool contribution, and will overdrive the Compiere movement.

• Hi Frans,

three reasons:

1 ) I would like to control who uses it. There are some compiere partners which forgot paying me...

2 ) I want to see when someone else will be able to to do it and publish it...

3) Noone paid me to do this so i would like to get some money for the time spent...

Regards,
        Trifon

• Hi Frans,

Also by this way i would like to see how many people really need this Compiere on Oracle XE.
        Becasue you can see many people requiring it, but when it is question to pay and support developer, they recosinder their demand......

I'm tellying you all this because i see that you are quite new to open source, or at least this is my feeling. Because usualy new people to open source post messages requiring something made by someone to be given for free.

When i started working with Compiere fulltime as open source developer i thought that when it is open source it should be free, but after first months work i get no income from such free contributions... if you would like to experince this you are more then wellcome. Road is very simple just develop what pole want and give them for free. They will want more and more, this is 100%...

I would be very, very happy to get everything for free :)

Regards,
        Trifon

• yah, people want to use but dont want to pay, and the bad thing, they want to use, and dont want to pay, and dont want to try to contribute, that sin.

but I have a believing, which i try to educate here, in my JUG and Compiere User Group, the bad karma will be with you, if you use people work, and you never contribute, and that happen here, several company cannot survive, because they never share the experience, and we know in open source experience are dynamic.

so, let we see.