Compiere 253c 253d please help!!

kisito
2006-08-29
2013-05-02
  • kisito
    kisito
    2006-08-29

Hi all

Please someone can help me to get Compiere 253d (or 253c)? because i found many bug in the current display version (253a) and i think that those bug are fixed in the next versions. But i read in many thread the 253c and 253d version, i don't know where to find those version.

Thanks

• Colin Rooney
      Colin Rooney
      2006-08-29

Hello Kisito,

I recently ask Compiere Inc. if and when 253c would be released and they said it wouldn't be and the next stable/tagged release will be 253d.
      However they could provide a release date for 253d as they were very busy organising the move to their new offices in San Francisco.

They recommend using their "nighly build" to get the most stable release, this however is only available if you have a support contract with Inc.
      Failing that, the best option is to take the current "head" in CVS.  But it seems that because of time delays and other factors the CVS head is not the equivalent of the "nightly build" and can lag behind anywhere from hours to days (depending on sourceforge according to Inc.)
      I too am currently working on 253a so I cannot vouche for the quality of the CVS head download, but Trifon, who is very helpful on these forums,  contends that the 253d in the CVS head is not always stable .. it depends on when you download I guess!?

So if you have a support contract then the "nightly build" is what you need. I currently do NOT have a support contract, so given that this is called the nighly "build" I'm not sure if this is a binary release only or if source code is included.

One point to keep in mind is .. if you are testing 253a and plan to continue testing in 253d you cannot move any setup or test data you have created in 253a without access to the migration tools that are only available with support contract!  So you would be required to recreate the configuration, setup & testdata from scratch.
      It is for this reason that I have opted not to migrate to latest version until I am nearly my "live" date when I will purchase a support contract and gain access to the migration tools.
      For now if I find a problem in 253a I simple check if it is reported or not .. if Inc. have indicated  if it is "fixed" and in which version.

good luck

colin

• kisito
        kisito
        2006-08-29

Thank's colin

• >CVS head is not the equivalent of the "nightly build" and can lag behind anywhere from hours to days (depending on sourceforge according to Inc.) 

In fact sf.net CVS head is completely abandoned by Compiere Inc. So currently there is one very old-old version.

>It is for this reason that I have opted not to migrate to latest version until I am nearly my "live" date when I will purchase a support contract and gain access to the migration tools.

Colin, from my point of view it is better to invest this money in something else... Or give this money to Compiere Inc. as a gift, but do not expect very working migration tool. And keep in mind that in new version Compiere Inc will try to provide DB independence which according to me i snot acheavable tasks by Compiere Inc. so i expct that migration tool will be more unstable.

just my 2 cents. Hope to help you avoid making some mistakes or make them with full view what could be result.

Kind regards,
        Trifon

• Colin Rooney
          Colin Rooney
          2006-09-01

Hi Trifon

re: sf.net CVS head is completely abandoned by Compiere Inc.
          Well if that's the is truely the case I would wonder why we are even talking on this sf forum! 
          If there are no updates then it is a dead project in sf terms!
          I have been working with 253a for a while now and simply using the CVS head to check if any fixes were made in later versions before I make bug reports. If what you say is true I've been wasting my time & perhaps Inc.'s reporting bugs that might or might not exist. 

re: better to invest this money in something else...
          Well of course I can think of lots of nice things to buy with $1500 :-) but given that it includes the oracle & pdf licenses it's not too bad ... IF it can migrate my setup (no transaction data just the setup & configuration).
          I know I could go with your ComXE for free :-) (how do you get around the PDF license requriement?) but there is functioanlity in 253 that I need (like replenishment from a source warehouse) and I think the comXE is working with 252 ... is that correct?

re: DB independance
          Well to be honest if there wasn't even a hope of DB independance I wouldn't have even started with compiere.  I'm am not a fan of Oracle, at least not when all you require is a simply transaction capable DB for a SME (my preference was always for postgreSQL but it doesn't look that will happen now).  One thing I would like to see more of in Compiere is more use of existing Open Source projects.  If you take OfBiz for example, they do not try and reinvent everything from scratch, but embrace what others have accomplished and use it to enhance their offering.  Db independance seems like a perfect example of this... why reinven the wheel!?  And, I think creating DB independance will be very difficult in Compiere's case.  The code is littered with embedded SQL code, which must make it difficult to test/maintain and ultimately change!
          After saying all that- Compiere is still light years ahead of the ERP/CRM I created (which is none) so I take my hat to Jorg & Kathy.

re: help you avoid making some mistakes
          Thx Trifon, I appreciate you taking the time!

regards

Colin

• Hi Colin,

Please let me know which files are changed in sf.net CVS server? I do not see any commits.

This is link to compiere-cvslog
            https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=33244

Last commit is from 2006-04-11 21:47

>Well if that's the is truely the case I would wonder why we are even talking on this sf forum!

Personaly i'm trying to support compiere by helping in forums. And from time to time to ask Compiere Inc.

>(how do you get around the PDF license requriement?)

I use FreePDF from Iku DE

>but there is functioanlity in 253 that I need (like replenishment from a source warehouse) and I think the comXE is working with 252 ... is that correct?

ComXe currently runs on Compiere version 2.5.3b.

Kind regards,
            Trifon

• Colin Rooney
              Colin Rooney
              2006-09-01

Hi again Trifon,
              I was just writing to say I was mistaken about the updates, I was picking up the checkouts!!
              So You're right ... again! :-)

Well I'm seriously thinking I will now stop with compiere.  It's obviously no longer an open source project.  I need to talk with my client who has been very patient while I evaluated & tested.  They are moving from a proprietry product precisely because the do not want to be locked in (again) so they want access to the code. Okay if they buy a support license the get the code, but what quality of code?  To produce a package of this size you need a lot of people ... without being open I worry that it's not possible for such a small outfit as Inc.!  They have their partners, but I remember back in August last year 252g (I think it was) was delayed while the partners did "exhaustive testing" of the new costing in what became 253a.  And it is full of bugs!! So there are obvioulsy not enough partners testing.  It's one thing getting a free software with no warranty, but to pay & still get no warranty!!!  That's a much harder sell...
              Ultimately, a open source project on which there are no commits in 5 months is a dead project in my eyes!

re: comXE, 253b & FreePDF
              hmmm well I might suggest my client go that way.
              We've put a lot of time in we might as well get some use out of it.  the XE limit is a 4Gb DB... there was a time (not so long ago) when that was a huge... but it doesn't sound like awhole lot these days.  What happens when the limit is reached? Can a license simply be purchased then?

thx the the heads up Trifon.

a very frustrated ...

colin

• Hi Colin,

I'm sad to read that you think to abanodn Compiere.

I think that all we (who need stable Compiere) have to ask Compiere Inc. and demand change in this stupid politic. I do not want to make fork, it is too much work and fight between open source people.

I want to get answer from Compiere Inc. and source in case they are still open source.

What do you think? Let's ask Compiere Inc.?
                If they have courage they will answer.

>What happens when the limit is reached?
                Oracle will stop working.

>Can a license simply be purchased then?
                You can export your Oracle XE db and import it into Oracle Standard. I think that then you can buy license for Oracle Standard/Enterprise.

Kind regards,
                Trifon

Kind regards,
                Trifon

• Colin Rooney
                  Colin Rooney
                  2006-09-01

Hi Trifon,

You are remarkably optimistic! :-)
                  I have seen you ask Inc. for change many times in these forums... but I never remember reading a reply?

Last year Inc. announced a new release policy which was:
                  "Based on the feedback of the community, Compiere changed its release strategy.  We will release new versions in August, November, February and May - with an early release at the beginning of the month and after the QA cycle at the end of the month."
                  I don't think that ever happened?

I emailed Inc. a few months back and ask them, outright, if there was a change in this release policy.  The reply I got suggested I should us the "Nightly Build" (i.e. sign up for support) and
                  "I (kathy) do not have any schedule for the next tagged release as we are in the midst of moving our office to CA".  Now while they didn't explicty say there was no change in this policy.... I took this reply to mean; there was no change in policy they were simply busy moving office. But they haven't been moving office since April!!!  So now I must conclude there HAS been a change in policy. 

Now I am perfectly happy for Inc. to make a nice profit and for any customers I get to pay for using Compiere. But, I do not feel that I should pay to evaluate it for potential Inc. customers or that I should have to pay to help them fix errors.  THIS is why the likes of Oracle gives their software free to developers!

re: forks
                  I agree with you regarding forks.  It just means duplication of effort and a lot of confused customers.   If I move it will be to a different project completely (with perhaps this current project as an exception)... if I'm going to change I might as well change to something that does not suffer from the same flaws which all forks of compiere will.  And by flaws I mean a client-server system in a world gone n-tier. On the face of it Compiere is using the latest n-tier technologies .... but we know that under it's skin it's 1990s.  Still when it comes to selling, it has the right buzz words.

For the immediate futurem, I will watch with great interest to see if Inc. make any comment.

colin

• Colin Rooney
          Colin Rooney
          2006-09-01

Hi Trifon

I just checked the CVS history on sf ..  and while there was a long period between May & mid August when no commits were made (and there were lots of sf problems in that period!) previous to that date in May and since 24th Aug commits have been made daily!
          So hopefully whatever issue there were with the sf CVS they are resolved now!?

regards

colin

• Hmmm... actually partners has already started using 252d, you can look in their conversation in Support Request or Bugs

Is this something we don't know ? maybe comPiere now has a policy to release the latest version among his partners first, and community at later time, to make Partners has advantages in implementing and consulting Compiere than a non partner ? But they will miss community testing. any explaination ?
      cheers,
      Armen

www.goodwill.co.id

• Hi Armen,

yes partners have access to 2.5.3d (CVS HEAD; private one) and yes they have many problems with it (by well know reason, you can't have stable product when it is developed by only one person).

>maybe comPiere now has a policy to release the latest version among his partners first, and community at later time

NOT maybe. This is good way to make some profit... we need to understand that Compiere Inc. has to show good profit. The only think which i do not understnad is why Compiere Inc. do not respect free developers, who want to contribute source back to main CVS tree. According to me they are as valuable as partners who only pay. Anyway it looks that i will never undersntad this politic.

Kind regards,
        Trifon

Kind regards,
        Trifon

• I mean Partners has already had 253d at least by now

Armen

• kisito
      kisito
      2006-09-01

Hi all

What will happen if we create another project to maintain Compiere an open source project? I have resolved many bug in the source code of Compiere 253b but i don't know where to post to make it available to the communities

• Carlos Ruiz
        Carlos Ruiz
        2006-09-01

Wow, this thread is moving, my two cents:

> kisitomomo:
        > What will happen if we create another project
        > to maintain Compiere an open source project?

I think it's a very good time for start this discussion:

Can I invite you to express your opinions at:
        http://red1.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=931

> Colin:
        > but given that it includes the oracle
        > & pdf licenses it's not too bad ...

Please take account that this type of oracle license is applicable only for the application that has the license embedded, in other words, you can't put another application in that database (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz - globalqss
        http://globalqss.com

• Hi Carlos

"Please take account that this type of oracle license is applicable only for the application that has the license embedded, in other words, you can't put another application in that database (please correct me if I'm wrong)."

Yes, this is right.

From Compiere site (http://www.compiere.org/services/programs.html):

External Application - Third party packaged application accessing the database (e.g. a Payroll package). Own developed Compiere Extensions that access the database directly or reporting programs/solutions are NOT external applications.
          External Applications need their own database license. You cannot use the Extended Use program for your own developments if they are not a Compiere Extension (e.g. Network Management Solution).

Regards

Alejandro

• Colin Rooney
          Colin Rooney
          2006-09-02

Hi Carlos,

Well I didn't say it was good .... just not "too bad"  :-)
          I guess this question of "value for money" is a relative thing.  From my perspective I was thinking $1500 for 10 users or $150 per user ... here in Ireland a standard retail version of Office XP costs something like €400.. which is closer to $500...  Compared to that $150 per seat for an ERP solution looks very reasonable!

Good point about the restrictions though... I have taken them on board!  Accessing the DB from something like jasper reports is that considered external?  -I just read a message from Alejandro (good timing) who points out that reporting tools are not considered external!

thx all

colin

• Hi Colin,

My understanding about Oracle license is:

If you use Compiere classes to make connection to Oracle DB you do not need to pay for additional license. License provided by Compiere is good.

Kind regards,
            Trifon

• Carlos Ruiz
            Carlos Ruiz
            2006-09-02

> Accessing the DB from something like jasper
            > reports is that considered external?

About this topic I see an incoherence in the page:

"Data Access only via Compiere APIs: ... A violation would be database access via any third party program (e.g. reporting solutions) or JDBC Java functionality."

"Own developed Compiere Extensions that access the database directly or reporting programs/solutions are NOT external applications."

So "reporting solutions" are allowed or not???

Regards,

Carlos Ruiz - globalqss
            http://globalqss.com

• Colin Rooney
              Colin Rooney
              2006-09-02

re: incoherence
              yeah it does look like that Carlos!
              While it definitely says "reporting programs/solutions" are NOT "external applications" requiring a separate license perhaps they intended to restruct that to mean reporting solutions that are "Compiere Extensions" !?]

I guess without seeing "Appendix C" of the compiere support license -which is the actual Oracle License- we can't know for sure.
              But I do agree the web page (http://www.compiere.org/services/programs.html) explaining the licensing contradicts itself!

colin

• Redhuan D. Oon
      Redhuan D. Oon
      2006-09-03

The privatisation of CVS looks as if Compiere is using its own partners as guinea pigs, and we get to receive a cleaner version albeit later. :)

• Colin Rooney
        Colin Rooney
        2006-09-03

re: partners=guinea pigs
        But if we all were testing (& fixing) we could get a cleaner version sooner rather than later!  And I would suggest, perhaps, an even "cleaner" version!
        ;)

colin