Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

mixed summary account

SPE Anatol
2007-07-24
2013-05-02
  • SPE Anatol
    SPE Anatol
    2007-07-24

My dear number-addicted nothing-escapes-my-attention friends:

It turns out our accounting habits here in Poland are quite unusual. 
    Here is a fragment of the specimen accounting chart:

<cite href="http://www.publikacje.pl/publikacje/vdmcmgk/node/node540368.html"
    ><account summary="200:Transactions with customers and vendors" 
    ><account summary="201:Transactions with domestic unrelated customers" type="Asset"
    /><account summary="202:Transactions with domestic unrelated vendors type="Liability" /></account ></cite >

As you can see, the summary account has dependent asset and liability accounts. 
    I have examined the charts bundled with compiere and, as far as I can understand all the languages used there,
    such a situation does not occur so I have no clue how to handle this case. 
    IIRC, the type attribute is mandatory; should I set it to Memo then? 
    Or is it just unimplemented because nobody could think of such a schema?

Please tell me what you think.
    Chris

• SPE Anatol
      SPE Anatol
      2007-07-24

Oh my dear, there is a quote missing.  Trying to get it right:

<cite href="http://www.publikacje.pl/publikacje/vdmcmgk/node/node540368.html" 
      ><account summary="200:Transactions with customers and vendors" 
      ><account summary="201:Transactions with domestic unrelated customers" type="Asset" 
      /><account summary="202:Transactions with domestic unrelated vendors" type="Liability" /></account ></cite >

• ADAXA
      ADAXA
      2007-07-28

Perhaps you should experiment with the Financial Report Writer to see the impact.
      I think you would want to set the expected sign for asset accounts as debit and liability accounts as credit (so liabilities printed as a positive number in balance sheet reports)
      A report writer total (and probably a summary account balance that contained an asset and a liability) will add the two values together rather than calculating the difference.

Example .. if you set revenues as expected sign credit and expenses as expected sign debit then to work out the profit in the report writer you have to subtract the expenses-total from the revenue-total to get the profit however in accounting terms you are just summing the debits and credits.

regards